How to properly check a Headunit with a dd-1

I was thinking that the question I see a lot here is about how to check the sub out on a head unit when using the DD-1.

The confusion starts when the sub out setting has a range similar to -9 to +9 or something like that. It is the + side that make people nervous because it leads you to believe that the headunit is boosting the signal because of the "+" and we are told "boost" is bad.

The owners manual states to start with the 40hz 0db track. I think this is wrong.

I start by setting all e.q.'s bass boost, loudness ect.. to off, then I start with track 2, the 1k 0db track. I find the max undistorted volume, then I check the sub outs using track 1, 40hz 0db. I leave the volume at my previous level, and adjust the sub out until I find distortion, and back it off one click.

I think this is the easier way to make sure i have everything matched up right and clean and I don't have to go back and forth to find a happy medium.

What do you guys think?