Sundown Audio

advice,help with an old school amp kinda noobish

briang77

Hey everyone, I have a 2003 Subaru outback , and I installed 2 sets of polk audio 6500 components and I have this box
http://www.mtx.com/_...no-tne212d_31/b.
I know its kinda cheap and crappy but I got it for free in a trade and its brand new and I wired this in the car and installed an old school autotek stealth 500.s stealth from 1999 before autotek got bought out by maxxsonics.
its in really nice shape and still works fine. My headunit is a kenwood kdc-x789 from a couple years ago it has 5v preamp outputs.
Now here's the thing according to the old autotek owners manual the gain is adjustable from 200mv to 4 volts. Right now I have the gain on the amp turned completely down to the lowest setting.
Am I sending a clipped signal to the amp because of the 5v preamp outputs?
Should I leave the gain turned off?
I tried setting the gain with a voltmeter, but I couldn't get a reading when I stuck the probes from the voltmeter into the positive and negative speaker outputs on the amp. I had it on ac volts and was doing it the correct way.Ya know with all processing effects off on the amp and head unit turned off volume up high and using a 50hz test tone.
I think because of the age of the amp the preamp signal is out of its range.
What the heck should i set my gains at?
I don't have the cash for one of the smd distortion detectors, or know anyone with one. Also the headunit has a built in crossover setting for the sub mids and highs.
Can I leave the one of the amp turned off and just use the one in the headunit? The headunit has a -15 to +15 subwoofer level control right now I have it at 0 and go up a notch or two if i need it.
Can i use this as a gain control and just keep the gain on the amp off ? or is it just an attenuation?
I would like the bass to be loud but also clean.
Also right now the polk components are running off the headunit just until I can afford a 4 channel amp to run them.
What crossover point should i set them at? They are underpowered, and the head unit is only supplying them with 22watts rms but they sound ok for now. should i set the subwoofer crossover in the headunit to the same frequency to cutoff everything above what i choose for the highs?
My headunit also has a setting for what size speakers you are running. I have this turned off right now, and I cant overpower them so I figured leave it off but I'm not sure.
Should i turn it on or leave it off?
As the component sets are already underpowered, and here is also a link to the headunit I'm running
http://www.crutchfie...n-KDC-X789.html and the old autotek amp http://ebookbrowse.c...-pdf-d303269589
Thanks guys for all your help and advice in advance

You need to space out your question in paragraphs, it's very hard to read what you're asking.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

You need to space out your question in paragraphs, it's very hard to read what you're asking.

yeah it definitely makes it very difficult when everything is spaced together so closely.

Hey everyone, I have a 2003 Subaru outback , and I installed 2 sets of polk audio 6500 components and I have this box

http://www.mtx.com/_mtx+mobile+dual+12+2+937+sealed+800w+peak+subwoofer+enclosure_no-tne212d_31/b.

I know its kinda cheap and crappy but I got it for free in a trade and its brand new and I wired this in the car and installed an old school autotek stealth 500.s stealth from 1999 before autotek got bought out by maxxsonics.

its in really nice shape and still works fine. My headunit is a kenwood kdc-x789 from a couple years ago it has 5v preamp outputs.

Now here's the thing according to the old autotek owners manual the gain is adjustable from 200mv to 4 volts. Right now I have the gain on the amp turned completely down to the lowest setting.

I tried setting the gain with a voltmeter, but I couldn't get a reading when I stuck the probes from the voltmeter into the positive and negative speaker outputs on the amp. I had it on ac volts and was doing it the correct way.Ya know with all processing effects off on the amp and head unit turned off volume up high and using a 50hz test tone.

I don't have the cash for one of the smd distortion detectors, or know anyone with one. Also the headunit has a built in crossover setting for the sub mids and highs.

Can I leave the one of the amp turned off and just use the one in the headunit? The headunit has a -15 to +15 subwoofer level control right now I have it at 0 and go up a notch or two if i need it.

Can i use this as a gain control and just keep the gain on the amp off ? or is it just an attenuation?

Also right now the polk components are running off the headunit just until I can afford a 4 channel amp to run them.

What crossover point should i set them at? They are underpowered, and the head unit is only supplying them with 22watts rms but they sound ok for now. should i set the subwoofer crossover in the headunit to the same frequency to cutoff everything above what i choose for the highs?

My headunit also has a setting for what size speakers you are running. I have this turned off right now, and I cant overpower them so I figured leave it off but I'm not sure.

As the component sets are already underpowered, and here is also a link to the headunit I'm running

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BwQlMYn4jQl/p_113KDCX789/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X789.html and the old autotek amp http://ebookbrowse.com/autotek-amp-300-s-400-s-500-s-manual-pdf-d303269589

Thanks guys for all your help and advice in advance.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

thank you guys so much for fixing my post also sorry for the screwed up typing and such I was at work and was on the forum when I was supposed to be working lolol

this is how it should read thanks to the guys on here : Hey everyone, I have a 2003 Subaru outback , and I installed 2 sets of polk audio 6500 components and I have this box
http://www.mtx.com/_...no-tne212d_31/b.
http://www.crutchfie...n-KDC-X789.html and the old autotek amp http://ebookbrowse.c...-pdf-d303269589
Thanks guys for all your help and advice in advance

Archived