Carbon Fiber. Use this forum to show off your custom parts

knowledge, on 09 Jul 2013 - 06:57 AM, said:

got a few questions for yah.

were do u get ur product, can u buy most of the stuff at home depot?

when finished do u clear coat it with a can or spray gun and how many coats? or do u just polish it till it shines? or both?

i know how to fiberglass and is almost the same concept, are they using actual resin?

what are the liquids used, there are 3 of them right?

is it really easy as the videos show?

what if u do a complete square or even a ball how do u continue the pattern all around with out folds?

how long do u let the epoxy dry between coats?

Okay, lets try and answer all your questions:

1. I buy all my products online from a place called Composite Envisions. www.compositeenvisions.com

2. None of the stuff can be bought from home depot except. Lacquer thinner, brusher foam roller, etc.

3. When i finish with all the resin and am ready for the final step, I Clear coat it with automotive clear coat using a HVLP gun, I use 3 to 6 coats to have enough clear to wet sand down, 1000 grit, 1500 grit and 2000 grit, then use a polisher and rubing compound to polish to a shine.

4. They are using Epoxy Resin. I use a 3 to 1 Epoxy resin from Composite Envisions. It comes in 2 parts. 1 The resin & 2 the activator. You mix it at 3 to 1 meaning 3 parts resin (example 12 oz) to 1 part activator (example 4 oz)

5. The videos are edited due to time constriction that only shows the basics. It is Time Consuming and you need alot of patience.

6. In the case of shapes, The flatter the shape, the better. It is difficult to make the curvy shapes and to make the fibers stick and stay on the curves. Practice makes perfect. But try to Stay with the flatter sufaces. Factories make all the curvy items by making a mold and vacuum enfusing them. the vacuum keeps the material down while the resin cures.

7. You know you are ready to put the next layer of resin when it is dry enough that you can touch a side or corner and the resin does not stick to your finger. On the 3 to 1 mix it's about 2 to 3 hours.

If you or anyone else have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks a lot, man. Had to go to the emergency room because of an erection that lasted more than 4 hours when you posted pics of that rx-7!!

WTF? Hybrid parking? Really? What the hell is going on with these smug bastards?! I want gas guzzler parking right up front so i dont have to circle the parking lot 40 times and ruin the enviroment.

Thanks a lot, man. Had to go to the emergency room because of an erection that lasted more than 4 hours when you posted pics of that rx-7!!

LOL. well at least yours was an erection problem, i had my spleen burst from the RX-7

If anyone of you can carbon wrap good like that in Cali near L.A . Pm me !!

I want to wrap a dashboard, and maybe a steering wheel . Pls hit me up

Steering wheels are extreemly dificult but there is a place called Craft Customs that does your own steering wheel. check them out online.

I found a new video on YouTube Showing alot of great Info on Fibering but when i copy the code and post it here, it doesn't show for some reason, an error shows instead. So i will just post the name of the video and it's maker name here for whoever is interested can copy the name and paste it on YouTube's search bar. The name of the video is

Making Carbon Fiber Honda S2000 Parts

by: TheFabForums.com

Archived