Carbon Fiber. Use this forum to show off your custom parts

Also, when cutting the carbon fiber to size, make sure it is bigger than the piece covered and put tape on the CF before cutting it and cut down the middle of the tape. This will insure that the layers down unwind on your hands while you are handling the CF. SEE PIC

Armrestready-1.jpg

I work with composites and yea it is time consuming and you do a great job at it. Ever tried hot glue to hold the edges on the down instead of double sticky?

Nope, but i guess that will work too. Just as long as the material doesn't move or undo while you are trying to cure the resin on it and prevent air bubbles.

Okay so here is a step-by-step picture of start to finish.

1. part is ready and cf is cut to size

arm1.jpg

Armrestready-1.jpg

2. resin with black pigment is mixed

arm3.jpg

3. resin is applied on part and let it get really sticky (almost cured)

arm4.jpg

4. part is carefully wrapped and secured with whatever method you deem good.

arm5.jpg

5. A very very light layer of epoxy resin is applied on cf and let completely cure overnight.

arm6.jpg

6. Go to work with the resin applying and let it get tacky and applying another layer and let it get tacky and applying another layer.

arm7.jpg

7. next day, sand down the high spots, be carefull not to sand down all the way. Apply even more layers of resin but you see that by this time they are setting down more smoothly due to the sanding down the high spots and it look almost perfect.

arm8.jpg

8. Final sanding down as smooth as posible down to maybe 400 grit and apply Clear Coat. Wet sand and polish.

Armrest.jpg

...and that is about it. all parts are different, the more curves your part has, the more difficult the steps get.

...Oh, 1 very important step i forgot. Once the cf is Cured, you will need to trim off the excess CF off the piece. I suggest a Dremel, some cutting disks, sandind stones, and be very very carefull. You can easily mess up the part while triming and cutting off the excess material.

Archived