Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Alright here are some notes before I ask my question.

1) Headunit does not clip at 62/62 with both the 40hz and 1khz 0 db track.

2) Sub amp gain is currently set with -5db track.

3) I am aware that higher gain = worse signal to noise ratio.

Ok, so here begins my curiosity.

Currently, I have been happy with the -5db track for my music settings and what I play, but I got curious. Since I have a gain knob on my kicker amp (which I know only turns it down from max/set point of gain), I wanted to be able to mark the knob for different track settings. (-10, -5, etc). So I decide to try to set this up...didn't work. My gain knob does NOTHING to affect the DD-1. It reads the same. It does not make any sense to me. If I switch the tracks to lets say 0db, the DD-1 responds and shows distortion through the amp. (I should have noted I am measuring through the amp, since the headunit is already set) So out of curiousity, I turn down the volume on the deck instead until the distortion light goes away. Ok so volume 57, with my gain set with the -5db track at the sub amp.

So I am wondering, am I putting too much emphasis on the whole situation. The whole point of gain is to match voltages correct...so from what I discovered, does it make more sense that the volume knob is the most critical piece to the equation once gain is set? I hope I am making sense.

The whole reason I wanted to set my bass knob, was so I could turn down the gain when I play songs that are close to 0db in bass. I just wanted notches marked. But now I am thinking, overlap is important, but am I technically "distortion free" on a 0db track until volume 57, even though I set overlap with the -5db track?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Edited by VIP3R

2 Sundown Audio SA-10s

Box built by Speed of Sound

Kicker 1500.1

Infinity Ref 475a

Rockford Fosgate T1682c 6x8s

Pioneer Premier DEH-510UB

XS Power D6500

Stock 130amp Alt

Big 3

Build Log

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3349 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...