Second Skin Audio

New box :)

So... I managed to trade my 3 Sundown e8 subs for a pair of SA 12s :) seemed like a positive trade for me hehe. I am currently working on a new box design and wanted to get some input from you guys. The box that came with them was tuned to 44HZ and was like 5 cubes.. I am guessing that is why the guy didn't like them lol. These subs were honestly played less than 10 minutes total before he unhooked them and started looking to trade them lol.

Anyway, I was thinking something along the lines of 20H x 37W x 13D with a port 11.5H x 4W x 26"L

I have that worked up to about 3.3cubes net @ 34HZ

With this setup I am looking for reasonable sound quality with a good amount of SPL. I will be running my BRZ2100 @ 2ohms most likely. They are D2 subs so I am guessing that is a better option for me than .5ohm daily on a hifonics hehe.

Biggest questions are:

Would 13.8 inches of port area per foot be decent for some Decaff but still sound good on Country/Rock/Pop etc?

Is the airspace about right for those subs? It seems to be within sundown's specs but I was hoping someone might have experience with the SA12 and be able to chime in.

And the last question, is... anyone have better specs that they would recommend looking at? Thanks much!

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Maybe make the net volume a hair bigger if you can (closer to 2 cubes each) but not 100% necessary for good results since they do like smaller boxes too.

Port area sounds fine to me 14 sq in per cube probably right around where you would want to be.

Archived