Second Skin Audio

Need help with first custom box build

Im starting a new project and doing something i have never done and building a custom box/center console. FF7B4A27-B5FE-476D-B927-25DBAB81E1C0-197

this is what i have so far its just a frame but it gave me my measurements and angles. if i have calculated everything correctly i should have 2.241 cubic feet of air space. i am thinking of doing a memphis mojox or an re xxx both the 12in versions since the company who i work for can get it reasonable. I am also considering doing a sealed box i listen to a wide variety of music and want loud but also i want it to be punchy and i am willing to sacrafice some loudness for that kick in the chest and i believe one of those subs in a sealed box would do the trick. i can do a ported box but i think it wouldn't get the punch you get from a sealed box. and i also figure if i did this box ported i would have gobs of port noise and wouldnt have enough airspace. any thoughts or opinions would be great if you feel its crap just tell me but please give me some suggestions as i am new to this and my boss isn't really into the loud stuff.

you shouldn't have a problem with port noise if the ports not facing towards you. a ported box is more likely to give you more punch then a sealed box would. 34-38hz would be best for those punchy notes. altho sealed may work better for you seeing as the space your working with, and its the best for a variety of music types. but ported is going to be louder.

ok how would you recommend doing the port? i considered making an elevated part for a port on top but it would be facing toward the front console. and my music styles are rap, country, and rock. would it still be recommended doing a ported box? i figure with a sub of that size loudness shouldn't be a problem in my town no one even knows what a wall is and the biggest sub we ever sell in the shop is memphis flats strictly because they fix it sealed truck boxes. i have never actually heard a mojo in a well built box or with enough power going to it. i have a memphis 2400d m class amp that i am planning to power it, a little excessive i know considering the new mojo x is only rated at 1750 rms but its easy to get my hands on. and also the enclosure recommendations for a ported box is 3 cubic feet and i don't think i have enough space physically to do that. and when you say it wont be loud as loud what do you mean i have a single re sxx 12 in a ported box in my back seat with a 1200 m class amp right now, even in a sealed box the mojo should be significantly louder correct? thank you for your reply

Archived