Clarence Joseph Sales Posted June 8, 2013 Report Posted June 8, 2013 I tried my hands at Torres calculator. I have a scion xb and am planning to do b pillar wall with 4 15's. the plan is building 2 seperate boxes holding 2 woofers each standing side by side. I will be using Lightning Lab 500rms subwoofer and will be driven by 2 lightning lab 1500.1 amps. Here's what i was able to make with the calculator Heres the design made from sketchup I would love to hear your inputs negative and positive regarding the design i made before i start making the box.
thefourth Posted June 8, 2013 Report Posted June 8, 2013 Why not just build them in one box? Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do thatI can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream. oh lawd.
CleanSierra Posted June 8, 2013 Report Posted June 8, 2013 Is this box I'm seeing only half of the equation? Two boxes at these specs? If these are the TOTAL dimensions and airspace for all subs, not enough. If this is half, 4 cubes would work, but is that what you want to do as far as airspace and power? Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
Clarence Joseph Sales Posted June 8, 2013 Author Report Posted June 8, 2013 Why not just build them in one box? The reason for building box seperately is because as of now i only have 1 1500.1 amp running all 4 15's but plans to add another 1500.1 in the future so each box would have a dedicated amp.
Clarence Joseph Sales Posted June 8, 2013 Author Report Posted June 8, 2013 Is this box I'm seeing only half of the equation? Two boxes at these specs? If these are the TOTAL dimensions and airspace for all subs, not enough. If this is half, 4 cubes would work, but is that what you want to do as far as airspace and power? Yes, this calculations and drawing are for 1 pair of woofers only. I'll be building 2 of this box to make a b pillar wall. Is 4 cubes too big? Would appreciate to hear your comment with the design i made. i'm open for suggestions. If it helps, as of the moment, i'm running a single 1500.1 for all 4 woofers with box displacement of just 12cuft c pillar wall. I feel that 12cuft is too small for 4 15's that's why i've decided to get rid of my rear seats to build a b pillar wall.
CleanSierra Posted June 8, 2013 Report Posted June 8, 2013 It's really all about power you're going to be putting to them. I am unfamiliar with the subs or the amp mentioned. A larger box will surely help on efficiency, especially if you're low on power handling and don't go CRAZY with powering the subs. If you're planning on overpowering by any bout, you'll lose cone control with TOO much space and will potentially bottom the subs out. Tuning and port area both seem pretty good to me, the port area, may be s bit high. Like I said, I'm unfamiliar with the subs and don't know spend like Xmax and Vas. Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
CleanSierra Posted June 8, 2013 Report Posted June 8, 2013 If the subs have a BUNCH of Xmax, more port per foot is good. If they don't have tons of Xmax, and don't displace that much air, you may not need a port area per foot number as high as you currently are calculating. Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
Clarence Joseph Sales Posted June 8, 2013 Author Report Posted June 8, 2013 This is how my enclosure looks like as of the moment If i remember correctly, it's a single chamber h40 w37 d17 with 5x5 squre port with 5 port depth. I like how it sounds with trance, electronic kind of music but i feel it lacks low end base like r&b, rap, trap and the likes of it. That's why i've decided instead of selling the subs and buying 4 12's, i'll just sacrifice my rear seat to make more space for a new enclosure.
Clarence Joseph Sales Posted June 8, 2013 Author Report Posted June 8, 2013 It's really all about power you're going to be putting to them. I am unfamiliar with the subs or the amp mentioned. A larger box will surely help on efficiency, especially if you're low on power handling and don't go CRAZY with powering the subs. If you're planning on overpowering by any bout, you'll lose cone control with TOO much space and will potentially bottom the subs out. Tuning and port area both seem pretty good to me, the port area, may be s bit high. Like I said, I'm unfamiliar with the subs and don't know spend like Xmax and Vas. Correct me if i'm wrong, does this mean bigger box = lower watts needed? If that's the case it would seem to be an advantage for me coz i'm still running stock alternator, stock batts and no extra batteries. So is it safe to say that my design and tuning is within specs of a pair of 15's enclosure? What would be the disadvantage of building an enclosure bigger than the subwoofer's recomended cuft?
Clarence Joseph Sales Posted June 8, 2013 Author Report Posted June 8, 2013 If the subs have a BUNCH of Xmax, more port per foot is good. If they don't have tons of Xmax, and don't displace that much air, you may not need a port area per foot number as high as you currently are calculating. What would be the disadvantage of having too much port area when your subwoofer has not that much xmax? That's the problem with china made subwoofers, they don't come with a spec sheet. But i have high hopes with these woofers coz i've heard them sound really good. Would there be a safe enclosure size and port size if you really don't know the exact requirements of a subwoofer?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.