'81 El Camino Conquista - no audio for a while

I've recently decided to sell the '79 elk that's been my daily for a while in order to get something more fuel efficient for commuting to school and whatnot but I've had this for a while, sitting in the driveway, and decided it was time to pay more attention to it. As the title says, it's a 1981 El Camino Conquista and it was bought for $400 with the intention of taking the headers, rear end, and some other parts to better the '79; that didn't happen.

I expect progress to be very slow with having to do a build in whatever commuter car I end up with, some re-wiring on my dad's 74 stingray, and school, but I figured I'd post this log in case anyone has some thoughts that I don't have about what should be done.

The '81 next to the '79; it's a little prettier to look at.

DSC01518_zps1a3c981d.jpg

There's something about these dang floor pans that makes them prone to rust. GM decided to route the parking brake cable against the bottom of the floor pan behind the driver's seat. Floor looks kinda bad but I've seen/dealt with worse.

DSC01763_zps5a947a4c.jpg

DSC01766_zps52fe6d23.jpg

The dash is in remarkably decent shape compared to what I've came across with other 5th gens.

DSC01765_zps4c1c2352.jpg

There's also a lot less rust on the rear end as well as the bed than there is on the '79

DSC01768_zps89c04d84.jpg

DSC01767_zps57520dfa.jpg

And the best part of the truck lies under the hood; sbc 305 with less than 100k on it judging by the cleanliness under the valve covers. It took a little time to get it started for the first time in 6 years, mostly just timing and plugs, but it runs amazingly. Engine bay needs some cleaning and rewiring.

DSC01769_zpsf25086cb.jpg

DSC01770_zpsff59559b.jpg

Anyway, thought I'd share in case anyone would be interested. As always, thank you for your time.

'79 El Camino

Skar VVX-10 in a t-line tuned to 26 Hz

Build log: Here

Archived