Second Skin Audio

PR box question

rambronco

I have been going back and forth for a while on possibly doing a PR box behind the rear seat of my 4 door F-350. When it comes down to it I really don't have enough experience with PR's to make that decision, I have been into car audio for years and have never had any dealings with a PR box. I know the basics behind using a PR but my specific questions are.

1. When most people talk about a PR box its because of space constraints and port length issues i'm sure that's not always the case but "usually". Is that to say that in a box closer to "optimum displacement" a PR shouldn't be used? or is less efficient than a port?

2. Is there a general rule or some sort of ratio as to subwoofer X-max and PR X-max? I'm sure that there is an obvious point that a PR with 3mm X-max isn't going to work with a sub with an X-max of 31mm, but curious if the general rule would be a 1:1 ratio?

Thanks in advance for any input
RB

01 Chevy Silverado X-cab

2 Sundown Z18v4 walled on 2 Lanzar Opti 7k's strapped at 1/2ohm = each amp wired to 1/4ohm. Havent checked impedence rise so not sure what they are actually seeing. 6 group 31AGM's.

2-Eclipse 34230's each one running 2 Eminence 6.5" Beta 6A. These are beastly mids rated at 350w program power. I was skeptical but the eclipse amps are 370w x 2 and when there was 4 mids on 1 amp I could push it into thermal protect within a song so added the 2nd amp. 

Eclipse 4212 running 4 CT sounds Meso tweeters. and 2 DLS ultimate tweeters up high to raise the soundstage.

96' Ford F350 4wd 4d long bed 7.3 diesel with 91k miles. Will be the sound quality rig if I can ever find the time.

Archived