Sonic Electronix

Sounds like you've got plans for your Jeep similar to mine...I'll share my setup with you to give you some ideas.

IMAG0367.jpg

I've got a 3" RC lift kit with full spring packs and 31"s. How big of a lift are you going with, and tires? Definitely make sure you go with full spring packs to support all the extra weight of subs/batts. My old setup was two 15" Kicker L5s. Definatly not the best system haha...it was my first take on car audio and I made the mistake of running with a prefab box. It didn't sound too bad while I had it in, but I definitely recognized the difference in sound quality once I upgraded to my next system of 3 Sundown SA8s in a box built by me (1.8 ft^3 tuned @ 32hz). I played around with my 15s and I thought subs up port up sounded best.

Old system

IMAG0186.jpg

Current system

IMAG0448.jpg

I've got big batts front and back, and big three under the hood as far as electrical goes. No HO alt yet, but maybe down the road. Right now my 3 SA8s (wired at .67 ohm) are doing pretty good taking 2200 watts rms. voltage drops to about 12.3 full tilt... so its nothing to brag about, but 12.3v is good enough for me. I've also got 3 sets of light (KC)

e6dd8eb6-03ca-444e-9e58-d07fae9e0293_zps

If your going to be using your system while offroading, using lights subs and a winch, you're gonna want the HO alt. I can't really say for sure if the HO alt will do well in the offroad conditions...but like others said just call up whoever you're ordering from and I'm sure they can give you a definite answer.

As for deadening, XJ's suck. The roof and hatch are gonna flex A LOT. You can use expanding foam to cut down on cost since its a lot cheaper than sheets of sound deadening. For the hatch, you can fill the holes with foam (just be careful to not get it into the latch/lock mechanism), and then if you want you can add sheets on top of all that foam. For the roof, you can use the foam between the beam things that run horizontally across the roof, and sheets on the flat parts. For the floor, I'd put the carpet on top, but thats just cuz I'd rather have carpet than have bedliner...but thats just an cosmetic preference. Either would work.

Good luck on whatever you choose to do, and make sure to post a build log, I'd like to follow it. Always great to see other XJs on here.

1999 Jeep Cherokee SportLifted on 31'sPopcorn Sounds AX6000.1 w/ AA 500.1 "THE F1X" board4 Obsidian Audio OA15's

C pillar wall @ 29hz

^^^work in progress^^^

Archived