Help with rear speakers in my subaru STI system build

BboyTaktix

I feel your pain on the JBL's man. The polk MM's (mine) and your JBL's are very similar. Mine sound awesome on 150+ watts passive cross over. I got the tweeters mounted as high in the door panel as i could cut while still looking good. Tons of deadener in my doors. Playing with EQ a lot. and lots of cross over points on my amps.

I got it judged professionally for SQ, and with the subwoofers off they said my stage height was awesome and the tonal reproduction was awesome for what it was. I was slightly bright but i like it that way personally. They said my only downfall was the mid bass. My polk mid woofers cant play shit below 100 and if i push them too hard THEY LET ME KNOW QUICK. So i cant wait to replace these with something a bit better.

I actually attempted the SPL SQ system that every noob says they want. I did a 145, aiming for a 148, and got judged for SQ with very pleasing results for being a noob myself atleast as far as competing. More refinements to come.

The JBL's are great, i was just trying to steer someone away from my mistake of getting the polks. They have treated me awesome but unless you have the woofers on and the LC1 set low for "SQ" not overpowering bass.... you really are dragged down by their lack of mid bass.

ALSO. Im much much much happier with no rear speakers. Had the matching Polk MM's in the rear deck. Took them out and did a forward firing sealed sub stage and such a huge difference.

good to know! thanks for the advice! I'm sure if I heard a few SQ builds my mind would quickly change! Although I have spent all the budget money for audio lol. Would love to hear some good SQ builds, but no clue where to go to hear that, no competitions in my area far as I know.

I also know when it comes to car audio, money can be spent very quickly, there is ALWAYS bigger and better, and often the mentality is to 'go big' and buy better, but for now I am happy with the sound, my 4 speakers will be decent above 100ish hz and the sub should get most stuff below that. Once I finish the build I will see how it sounds after some tuning and give it time to sink in. Later on, if I have more money for car audio, I'll slowly upgrade my front stage.

2018 Golf R - Stealth SQ system build - C508GTI front (active), 2x Pioneer Z10LS4, Zapco DSPZ8, Clarion DPX11551 (Mono amp), Pioneer GM-D8604 (front stage amp), Pioneer GM-A3702 (rear fill amp)

SOLD! 2011 Subaru STI - 'modest' passive sq system - JBL p660c component (front) JBL P662 (rear) JBL W10GTI (sealed enclosure) 4ch JBL GO1004 (150RMSx4), Clarion DPX11551 mono amp (+-1200RMS@3ohms)

• 6 months later...

I am installing the Same exact system in my 2006 STI actually and would like some input if possible. I will be running my P660c's in the front and p662's in the rear window shelf, I have a sedan so this will take some custom Fab. Then a 10 inch MKII in the rear. So for my front design I am going to construct speaker pods just for the mids on my lower door portion and mount the tweeters on the upper door portion (On the little plastic peace at the end of the mirror cover) Also I am looking to rebuild my rear window shelf to support two pods for my P662's. I hate how all Subaru Sedans DONT have support for speaker mounting in the rear window shelf, ONLY the rear doors and I think that's a waste because the Front seats will just block the sound of my rear door speakers in that setup. In addition to that I will be building a sealed fiberglass enclosure for my MKII in the trunk and will be sound deadening the entire car with CLD tiles, CCF and MLV.

My question is, Do you think I should design the pods with a OPEN AIR function of keep them sealed? I'm worried that keeping them sealed will hurt the speaker or the sound quality, but then again it might benefit.

There are two sides to this issue, ONE with the rear speakers having them installed in the rear window shelf with a OPEN air design I could see the issue of my sub-woofer power pushing against them and causing distortion so a Sealed system would be ideal for the rear window shelf. But if I mount them in my rear doors then that issue would be completely eliminated BUT the front seats would be in the way of the sound.

I care about staging a lot so I don't want to use the rear doors. Let me know what you guys think the best setup is.

Regards,

Liviu

Archived