Sonic Electronix

Need help on trunk actuator project

So a long time ago, when I started designing the last build in my car, I wanted to do an automatic trunk lift using linear actuators. 1 or 2, not sure what would be best.

I have a diagram somewhere utilizing my alarm and the trunk pop output as well as other auxiliary outputs. Also using relays, and modules like a delay start module from DEI to pop the trunk latch, and delay the actual actuator from extending.

Here is my concern. I'm wondering if my latch on my trunk now will allow for the actuator to close the trunk tightly. What do I mean by that? My civic trunk latch is kind of stiff. I know when I shut it now, just the oem torsion springs on it now, it can be a little difficult to shut. So if it's difficult to shut now, and I do have to shut it pretty hard, not a slam, but push on it pretty good, then how are a couple of actuators going to get it to latch with a slow shutting action?

I could use some thoughts on this.

Like I said I already have the diagram for the wiring of the trunk actuators.

But, can the trunk latch be adjusted to loosen up?

Do they make latches that are specific for this type of application, and are they universal?

Should I nix the latch all together and depend on the strength, lb force, of the actuators to hold the trunk down? I'm not sure I feel warm and fuzzy about that if I'm going to have equipment back there.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm still doing research on this, and I have found a couple of videos on it, specifically an older civic (see below). But it also looks like his latch is in place. So maybe it's not going to be as big a deal as I think it is as far as the latch is concerned. But I'd like to hear from you guys on it please.

Also I know there's another video out there, I think it was a white cavalier maybe, had automatic trunk open and sliding amp drawers etc I think. I'll see if I can find that one, cause I think that was where I originally got the idea from.

Thanks!

Archived