Second Skin Audio

Dowels for box joints

Yates

Dowel joints are stronger then a regular glue joint, and a proper glue joint is stronger then one with screws.

I say go for it, build a jig so your holes line up.

I can doa shitty paint drawing of a jig if you want...

I use them, and biscuits alot when we make shelving or stuff for in home.

For a sub box my new favorite thing is doing dado and rabbit joints, it all fist together when gluing up, stronger then regular butt joint or screwing it together, and makes clamping easy as hell.

Also easier then dowels, but you need a stacked dado blade.

I think I know what you mean about a jig I was also thinking about biscuitting it but I don't have a biscuit cutter I think I will try it thanks for the help I'm using 30mm MDF so I should have a bit more room and I will drill a smaller hole first to ease the strain on the wood I could talk all nice to my wood work teacher at school so he will let me build it there lol

For dowel joints, if you want to make it easier, and you are wrapping or coating your box I would do external, jsut because you can do the holes at once, if you do internal it will look cleaner, and be easier glueing up, but will be harder drilling all the holes correctly.

yeah I think external will be easier I will carpet or paint it anyway

Dowels > Biscuits IMO..dont need a special cutter, and you dont remove more then you have to from the glue surface...with biscuits there are hollow pockets. Dowels swell slightly too, a good hole and lined up correctly they work great.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wHk_Nf2C44

makes a good jig, mor ecomplicated then you have to but if you use the same mdf you can use a quick clamp and get a centered hole every time.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Archived