Second Skin Audio

Dowels for box joints

Yates

I heard that screws a really bad tear your box and everything so I was thinking of doing dowel joints anyone done this know about this if this is bad tell me I would rather someone tell me before I built my box

Dowels

either internal like so

13-Assembling-Blind-Dowels.jpg

or external

06-Inserting-Through-Dowels.jpg

what do you guys think?

It looks nice and it will probably hold pretty well, but it seems like a lot of work for little to no gain. I'd rather just pre-drill the screw holes so the wood doesn't split. I'm using an air nailer right now and I have no issues with splitting wood. Give it a shot and tell us if you think it holds better.

Not sure how well that will work, The only reason i use screws is to suck the two pieces of wood together so the glue gets mashed in and you get a tight seal.

I thought about that too, but I think if you clamped it together while it dried you might not have an issue. Unless your subs are crazy bad ass and just blow the box apart.

Dowel joints are stronger then a regular glue joint, and a proper glue joint is stronger then one with screws.

I say go for it, build a jig so your holes line up.

I can doa shitty paint drawing of a jig if you want...

I use them, and biscuits alot when we make shelving or stuff for in home.

For a sub box my new favorite thing is doing dado and rabbit joints, it all fist together when gluing up, stronger then regular butt joint or screwing it together, and makes clamping easy as hell.

Also easier then dowels, but you need a stacked dado blade.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Not sure how well that will work, The only reason i use screws is to suck the two pieces of wood together so the glue gets mashed in and you get a tight seal.

Using the screws you actually weaken the joint, not alot, not enough to care but it has been shown before a proper glue joint is the strongest way to bond them, and then then there are certain types of joints that cater to different scenarios. If the glue joint fails, there is more then enough force for the few deck screws to fail too, one of the first things we learned in college woodworking.

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

Sold to:

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

I thought about that too, but I think if you clamped it together while it dried you might not have an issue. Unless your subs are crazy bad ass and just blow the box apart.

Yeah I got clamps

Also just for informational purposes, the reason butt joints are weakest glue joint is you are gluing endgrain, not as big of a deal with MDF, but when it comes to plywood, or hardwoods, exotics, you need to do somehting other then a standard butt joint so that you have more then end grain holding the bond. Dowels are used alot, and also biscuits because it is less noticeable when making a table top or somethign like that, also it lines up your pieces for glueing. Dovetails, and the other shown below are stronger, but you can see the grain change, unless you are using mdf, or painting, then it doesn't matter.

Wood-joints-001.jpg

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

Sold to:

For dowel joints, if you want to make it easier, and you are wrapping or coating your box I would do external, jsut because you can do the holes at once, if you do internal it will look cleaner, and be easier glueing up, but will be harder drilling all the holes correctly.

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

Sold to:

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

Archived