Skappa's Holden VS Commodore Wagon: GONE. 30/07/2014

Hi guys, signed up a fair while ago and didn't really post much, usually just read the forum every few days haha.
Anyway, here's my car from the start of the audio build ( I can start it since I actually bought the car if anybody would like).

Also, pictures may not re-size themselves as some screwed up while uploading and stayed at native resolution, I'll try and fix it soon@

So this was meant to be a budget build and I think I've done fairly well for what I've spent! smiley.gif

Most of this will be copy/paste from my big build log from another forum but I'll edit some stuff if needed smiley.gif

Name: Nick.
Model: 1997 Holden VS Commodore Wagon, Series II.
Colour: J064 Alaskan White.
Engine Type: 3.8L V6 L36 Ecotec.
Engine Mods: None.
Power: What's that?
Exhaust: Stock.
Gearbox: Automatic Completely shagged 4L60E auto.
Diff: Stock 3.08:1
Suspension: Stock standard, needs to be lowered.
Wheels: Stock 15x6 wheels..
Stereo: Pioneer P80RS head unit, SB Acoustics SB6's and Vifa NE25VTS tweeters, Hertz HDP4 amp running active.
Build Period: 14th July 2011 onwards.
Cost: $2500 with roadworthy and registration.
Contacts: You can contact me on Facebook if you like.
Future Mods: LOTS!!

Day after I bought it:

phto0061copy.jpg
phto0062copy.jpg
phto0064copy.jpg
phto0043.jpg

How she currently looks: abo046.jpg

Pics of the gear, I spent a total of $1937 so far, I think I've done pretty good considering the amps are second hand (DD was actually band new) and were both half price smiley.gif

2 15's, spool of Shok Classic CCA, 2 pairs of SB Acoustics SB-17 8 ohm drivers.
img1143ft.jpg
Hertz HDP4
img1257bq.jpg
DD M1C
img2665w.jpg
Alpine CDA-9851 for $50, cd player is broken but I don't need that function icon_biggrin.gif
Will be upgraded to a Pioneer DEH-80PRS when I can buy it.
img1316b.jpg
Corner of my ash tray was broken so it was the perfect place to route the Ai-Net aux cable!
img1318tr.jpg

$100 for 100AH? I think so!
img1371a.jpg

Okay, time for the temporary installs!
Box was made for a RE MT18 and was around 8 cubes net, put some big 45's in there to bring it down to about 6.7 but it was the best we could do, we also had to improvise and make a spacer ring to fit then reverse mounted it, final score was 142db @49Hz with no deadening in the car icon_smile.gif
img1388n.jpg
img1389q.jpg

It seems that I can't edit my original post as I have more to add, so I'll just post it here smiley.gif

Big 3 upgraded, will eventually get some split loom tubing and cover all the cabling, battery will also be upgraded to a Absorbed Power 75AH battery, biggest I can fit in there, along with some custom CNC machined battery terminals courtesy of a good friend of mine, design will be done once battery is purchased smiley.gif
(There is red or black heat shrink on each end of the cable to determine if it's + or - too).
19ad.jpg

2 bulk packs of the new SHOK MATS and 30m (100ft) of Shok 12 gauge reference series cable, better to have way too much than too little smiley.gif
eenl.jpg

Gold foil= 1st to Dynamat wink.gif
d57p.jpg

Deadening efforts from July 12th 10:40PM-2:30AM and used a total of 1/20 sheets, this was my first time installing deadener and I think I done pretty good, who's got some pro tips and/or some opinions? smiley.gif

tva1.jpg
rxu9.jpg
iae.JPG
duu9.jpg

NO LITTLE BITS GO TO WASTE!!!!
16a1.jpg

Final box design is done thanks to a very good friend of mine who owns a audio shop, hoping to start building Sunday/Monday, details are as follows for who know audio stuff tongue.png

9 cubic feet net after port, subs, bracing and round over displacement.
Removable port for daily and competition use, daily tuned to 32Hz and competition will be above 40Hz.
10" aero port, the box will be about 200mm from the tailgate which should be plenty of breathing room.
3mm thick steel to be laid around the whole box as a extra skin, including rounded over in every corner for much more smoothness, should help with SPL score too in theory.

c61e.jpg

Thanks for looking smile.png

caint wait for this

Hey ghostrider, thanks for interrupting my continuous posts :P

Kidding man, thanks for the input, there's more to come!

I could do a full build log including all the mechanical stuff if anyone is interested? :)

The mechanical side of things, has been an absolute pain the in ass since I got the car!
Tip, never buy a car from a mechanic! :)

All date time formats from here on will be DD/MM/YYYY!

This was 02/09/2011

First problem that occured was the radiator, $200 and I had a new radiator, new hoses and coolant and she was sweet!

Took some frustration out on the old one :P

16/09/2011
Here's the new radiator!

img0073pn.jpg

After letting out some steam:
img0080copy.jpg

After absolutely destroying it with a can crusher and steel cap boots:
img0083copyy.jpg
img0084copy.jpg
img0085copy.jpg
img0086copy.jpg
img0088copy.jpg

I think I found the problem! :P
img0089copy.jpg

08/11/2011

New exhaust system, now free flowing mufflers although still 2.25" pipe diameter so it's not really loud.

The whole system
img0166copy.jpg

WALKER! :D
img0168copy.jpg

Top of the old one.
img0170copy.jpg

Bottom, tried to patch it with the exhaust sealant, :lol: :lol:!
img0171copy.jpg

19/12/2011

Checked out the head unit wiring, it was a fire hazard waiting to happen, I hate twist and tape slackers!!

img0236uy.jpg
img0237cw.jpg

23/12/2011

Got some Alpine Type J's for Christmas, price was $90 locally.

Here's a couple pics of the Alines compared to thee Pioneers.
img0251sk.jpg
img0252lc.jpg

30/01/2012

New police spec cluster, the only stupid part is that the speedo needle doesn't illuminate, looks like solid plastic from what I've seen.

It only illuminated by a T5 bulb above, the police in the 90's used a kill switch so back seat passengers couldn't see how fast they were going, weird.

Never got a pic of how it actually looked at night.
img0015bu.jpg

19/02/2012

I was reversing and I got the okay from the passengers in the back, then a clunk and I hit a tree, broken light and the rear bar is stuffed.
img0040z.jpg
img0041bfx.jpg
img0042ra.jpg
img0043de.jpg

I left April 2012 for Adelaide so I was away for around 6 months, collected parts for most of that time so here's what I got

03/07/2012

New clear side indicators for $34

8ba8ce64-5b08-b6d6.jpg

11/07/2012

Tsunami BT703 battery terminals arrived today, out of the box they are really good, but have some imperfections and scratches in the gold plating.
Two 0 gauge and two 8 gauge inputs on each terminal :)

79dcd1ce-ff3e-1599.jpg
79dcd1ce-ff66-0fed.jpg

17/07/2012

New shortened shock absorbers, sedan 60mm lower springs (illegal but looked good and rode crap) and 10mm spring spacers to a little extra height (will still use them for when I get proper, beefier springs for the weight in the back.)

31b021e7-c999-bf11.jpg

Gonna sit lowwww.
31b021e7-c9b9-1912.jpg
All up it cost around $253 for the springs, shocks and spacers.

Finally got back home on 24/09/2012 so I could do work on the car, updates are as follow for that time!

New vs old jack, old was 320mm high and new one was 495mm high, helped more than enough!

[uha4evag.jpg

a7u6ynet.jpg

One more thing, I got a new alternator today and put it in, $50 isn't too had :)

Old VS new.
ururyzyj.jpg

New tail lights :)
y9y7ase8.jpg

New and old springs and spacers, if I didn't get the thicker spacers then I don't think I would of gotten the jack out.
y9emy7uj.jpg
japa5a2a.jpg
my6anary.jpg

Archived