Sonic Electronix

finding head unit & amp clipping points pre-installation

I've been posting some questions, and finding informative information on this forum that has led me to the purchase all the necessary components of my system.

Car: 2013 WRX hatchback

Enclosure: Ported 0.75 ft^3 @ 33Hz

Sub: 1 - Sundown Audio SA-8 v2 (D2)

Amp: Sundown Audio SAZ-1000D (guna be run at 1 ohm)

HU: Kenwood DDX470

The only problem is that the box i ordered from dave the box guy isn't going to be built for at least a month, but i want to have as much prep work done before hand so i can just hook everything up when the box comes in and go.

I borrowed an Extech 381295A 5MHz Dual Channel Multiscope from a co-worker, and my plan is to test out my HU and amp. I want to check everything once and get all the information from my HU for any upgrades I do in the future (fronts and rears). So that includes all the pre-outs and the signal going to my stock speakers. I'm going to be running my stock front/rear speakers for awhile, and was wondering if the signal going to those would clip at the same volume as the front/rear preouts? Or do i have to check the front/rear preouts, as well as the signals going to the stock speakers?

Also, i've been reading that using test tones will actually cause higher output when compared to dynamic music, resulting in lower true rms values when playing music. So my question is, is using test tones the only way to set the gains? Or can i just not use the search function and there are better ways to set gains.

Archived