So I'm thinking about buying a 2000 gsxr but the guy says and I quote "I have a 2000 GSXR 600 that starts and runs just fine, however it does need some carb tuning as evidence by a lag when reving the bike" does anyone know if the carbs are really the problem or is there probably a deeper more expensive or harder to fix problem going on with this bike? I can't post any vids or tell from personal experience what it sounds like but I'm supposed to make an offer tomorrow after I get off work andid like to have some sort of idea what I might be getting myself into before I buy. Thanks ahead of time for any helpful comments. And yes I have googled it but all my searches take me to tutorials on rebuilding carbs. Thanks again

It could be or might not be, no way of knowing without seeing/hearing it in person. I know carbs are a pain in the ass though, if they dont have the jets perfect and main and pilot dont work well together it will sputter and lag when rolling the throttle.

Everythings in the attic or garage since the truck was sold last year. New build should be coming soon in a dodge cummins smile.gif

Those carbs have vacuum/pressure operated slides. Which means there is no direct link between the throttle plate and the slide. There are issues that could cause a lag on throttle. One being an air restriction. Another could be a damaged slide diaphragm. The way the carb works is that when you give throttle the throttle plate opens. The pressure/vacuum differential causes the diaphragm to move the slide up resulting in more air fuel mixture into the intake. If one of the slide diaphragms are damaged it could cause a lag in a multi carb/cylinder setup. In a single cylinder setup, it would result in a no throttle condition. In a multi carb/cylinder setup, the result isn't as severe because the rest of the carbs are still working and it will rev up. But it would be down on power. It could also be a air cleaner issue. If I were you, I would ask the guy if I could have it checked out. If he's an honest seller, he shouldn't have an issue provided that he's present for the inspection. The issue could be a lot worse than a carb problem. If you are serious about buying it, at least check the air filter to see if it's clean. If you know anything about carbs, you could check the diaphragms for damage. But it's not advised if you have no experience with carbs. Could be as simple as trash in one of the jets.

Think of it like this, a naturally aspirated engine (when running) wants to rev. It's constantly trying to "suck' fuel and air. The throttle plate and the slide needle assembly restricts the flow of fuel and air. With the throttle closed, the engine creates a vacuum between the throttle plate and the piston when the valves open. When you give it throttle, the throttle plate opens. But there is still some vacuum present. That vacuum is directed to the top of the slide diaphragm, resulting in the diaphragm moving the slide up letting fuel and air into the intake. With a pin hole or tear in the diaphragm, the response is slower or stopped all together.

Good luck!

2002 GMC 2500HD w/8.1 liter v-8

Pioneer Avic N-5 HU

Pioneer CD-BTB200 Bluetooth

Pioneer CD-UB100 usb

Pioneer GEX-P910XM XM receiver

Pioneer CD-1200 IPhone adapter

Pioneer TS-W309D2 subs x2

Audiopipe split 3003

2 Autotek 3-way active crossovers

2 alpine tweeters

RF Punch P132 3.5" full range

RF Power T1462 4x6 full range

RF Power T1693 6x9 3 way

RF Power T2652 T2 6.5 components

2 Autotek ATX 1200.4 amps 4

RF P400 amp

Massive N4 nano-block

I measure loud by the amount of smoke it puts out.

www.enforcer-gaming.com

Archived