My little daily build 3.5KW 2 13Av.2's sealed off

Hi guys.

As you can see, im kinda new here.

My build started out as an idea and a wish, like most of you know, I ordered gear and waited 2 months for it to arrive. Since i live in Israel, it takes a lot of time to get here by sea, because shipping 2 60lbs subs by air would cost me 4 times than what i paid, i didnt care waiting for it.
In the meantime, i flew off to Toronto for 6 months, to visit friends and family and basically just have fun and roam around the great outdoors of canada! :D Which turned out to be A LOT of fun and packed with experiences i would never have living here in IL.

So, after i got back, all the gear was here, waiting for me, aside the subs I ordered 100' of the Shok Industries Competiotion 99.9% OFC 1\0 Wire!
This stuff is HEAVY! it weighed in at around 30 pounds per spool (50')! Again, shipping wasnt cheap!!
Once I had my Power wire, RCA's, Speaker wire and all the general wiring i needed, i started with my build.

The car is a 00' Volvo S40 T4 Manual, its a 1.9T with 200HP and a tiny Mitsu TD04-14T :)
Its a very nice car, i got it really cheap since it wasnt running very good, the engine was on its way to engine heaven, so was the turbo.
I decided to take it as a project and rebuild it from the ground up, took me about 2 months to find a new engine and do the swap and lots of other stuff!

I have the car for about a year and a half now and it still runs great, no issues whatsoever! Which in itself is pretty amazing for a turbocharged Volvo!

Anyway, to our topic, so i started by tearing out the whole car and running the wiring.

Secured the wires every 2-5" with plastic thingies with adhesive tape on their back that stick to the body of the car... something like that yeah...
After having all the wiring done, I drove like this for about 4 months until i got the batteries and finished the sub box and got everything hooked up.

Ok! Its time for some visuals! :D

Wiring:

Shok Industries Competiotion OFC

bxci.th.jpg
o56k.th.jpg
Installing the wiring:
rhn8.th.jpg
pj43.th.jpg
pwts.th.jpg
70gz.th.jpg
n4lx.th.jpg
ask5.th.jpg
xvt7.th.jpg
rqx7.th.jpg

00' Volvo S40 T4 MT :)
Front stage: 4 Morel Virtus midbass drivers - 2 Seas 27TDFC Tweeters

Subs: 2 Elemental Designs 13A.v2's
Amps: Celestra FA2150 + FA275
Mono: Crescendo BC3500D
Wiring: Shok Industries Competition Series OFC 10
DIYMA RCA's
Canare 10AWG Speaker wire
XS Power D3100 + D6500

My build thread

Once I had all that done i waited for the batteries and ordered some ToolMaker goodies! :D
So whats in the car right now? 1 XS 6500 + 1 XS 3100.
ToolMakerz battery terminals with 4X1\0AWG per terminal:
v0c1.th.jpg

Front battery wired up:
hv26.th.jpg
l9y6.th.jpg
w77t.th.jpg
5x5q.th.jpg

Once everything was wired correctly, i checked clearances and it seemed ok, so i took some 21mm wiring loom and ran the 1\0 through it:
yh5b.th.jpg
ykp2.th.jpg
ezsy.th.jpg
ylzr.th.jpg
All the wires were soldered, heat shrunk and loomed! maximum protection from heat, fuel, oil and other acids and stuff running around in the engine bay.
As you might, or might not, know. Copper becomes more resistive as temperature rises, so insulate your wires the best way you possibly can. Overkill never kills! :)

After installing the front battery, i moved to the back, tore out all the trunk liners and everything that was in my way, and started deadening it like a mofo! :D
Pics:
yt9p.jpg
p6np.jpg
6z57.jpg
fgc5.jpg
jigd.jpg
ifmu.jpg
2inc.jpg
7xhw.jpg
1g2v.jpg
miwi.jpg
zd98.jpg

DIYMA RCA's
XS Power D3100 + D6500

My build thread

Once i had the trunk deadened i put the 3100 in the spare tire well facing backwards, again i used the TM 4X1\0 terminals:

pnx2.jpg
0mnb.jpg
7k0q.jpg
ukcx.jpg
v0c1.jpg

Had everything wired up and working properly.

Next step was to build a box for the subs, after spending around 2 months on my spare time designing a box that will meet the following criteria:
1. It will have both the subs and the port mounted towards the front of the vehicle i.e: a sealed off application.
2. Transient response and group delay had to stay at normal or good levels.
3. Small port tuned very low <25, even though it meant compromising on SPL.
4. It had to leave enough room for everything else, battery, amps, cooling, new trunk beauty panels constructed.

so......... i came up with this:
h1f9.jpg
5zh6.jpg
7byr.jpg
o1t9.jpg
k77w.jpg

115 Liters (4CFT) tuned to 23Hz.... Both ports are facing forward and are quite small, but still no audible port noises till it gets down to 20-22Hz.
Im pretty satisfied with the results, it took me a shitload of hours to design this. and a couple days to build it.

I then sent the schematics to a CNC wood cutting place thingy... The subs are double-baffled, the box was made of 24mm(0.95") MDF, ports were made of 12mm(0.5") MDF.
A week after, the guy gave me a call, i picked up all the parts and went to work. Took me a couple days to assemble it, I like working slow! :D what can i do?!

DIYMA RCA's
XS Power D3100 + D6500

My build thread

DIYMA RCA's
XS Power D3100 + D6500

My build thread

It took me about a week to sand the front, body fill it, sand it, paint it in black, and it still wasnt perfect! :(
Not a big deal, since there are no IASCA or any other competitions in IL for that matter.

Than i put that in the car and installed the subs.
But first, let me put some pics of the subs and amp up, of course i forgot to mention the sub amp is a Crescendo BC3500... CRESCENDO FTW! :D
Its one heavy amp, built nicely.
Pics:
0aef.jpg
62pd.jpg
f7hl.jpg
3j0r.jpg
xtj1.jpg
ne58.jpg
qjjl.jpg
qvww.jpg
rmr6.jpg
mv2o.jpg
id32.jpg
These subs, are low-end monsters, low distortion, low FS, capable of reproducing even lower frequencies than what i am currently running them at, but that demands an even bigger box and A LOT bigger ports! which was out of the question for me, since i pretty much used 70% of the trunk already!

Meanwhile, i started working on my door pods. I decided to go with 2 Morel Virtus midbass drivers per door, thats 4 drivers total, and 2 seas 27TDFC tweeters.
It sounds nice right now, but i lack the processing power required to really make the system shine. Im a big fan of nice, tight, loud bass. I dont consider myself as a SPL guy... more like a basshead... addicted to that sweet LOW-END! :nuts:

DIYMA RCA's
XS Power D3100 + D6500

My build thread

Some pics of the door pods and other stuff:
khrk.jpg
fz67.jpg
rzhg.jpg
gt6c.jpg
8maf.jpg
2gif.jpg
4xqq.jpg
hnjr.jpg
ecvg.jpg
zwmd.jpg
7ebq.jpg
owyi.jpg
7iyj.jpg
ocaf.jpg
cvj6.jpg
3b95.jpg

This was about 2-3 months ago, since then i didnt make any progress...
Except installing my front stage amps. Celstra FA2150 and a Celestra FA275.
FA2150:
2X150W @ 4Ohm
2X300 @ 2Ohm

FA275:

2X75@ 4Ohm

I hooked up the midbass drivers (2 per door) at 2Ohm's per side, and tweeters were connected too...

Pics:

5gdh.jpg
bcwo.jpg
khrk.jpg
932p.jpg

Thats pretty much where im at now. I still LOTS of things to do... but no time!
This whole build is now over a year old... yeah, i know...
The wiring was done somewhere a year ago, and since then it progressed slowly. Like i said, i was in canada for 6 months so it took up a nice chunk of time where the car, literally, sat without moving at home.

Any Ideas, comments, suggestions, anything! would be appreciated, im kinda stuck right now with the whole build... so there wont be an update anytime soon... :shrug:

I do have some videos i took but i have no idea how to edit that stuff. So it might take me a while to upload a video :WTFBubble:

Thanks all my friends and family for supporting and helping, especially my dad, for helping me with the box and subs! :)

Peace!! :drink40:

DIYMA RCA's
XS Power D3100 + D6500

My build thread

Thans guys.

Yeah i like Paul Wall :D

I didnt have the chance to put a meter in the car yet, but i can say that the bass is just spot on!
Tight, tonal, awesome subs! i really like how they sound.
:)

DIYMA RCA's
XS Power D3100 + D6500

My build thread

Archived