Where do these people come up with this stuff?

A friend of mine went to an alternator rebuild place and the man told him that he can do a 200 amp alt but anything bigger won't charge unless it's on the interstate.

This sounds false to me but I'm by no means a professional. BTW, its going in a 1997 chevy tahoe 5.7L.

Are you the same dude that said another shop said that SHCA OFC wire, and all OFC wire is all the same?

Fuck.. where do you go?? and visit???... You need to just stop..

I'm in Ohio and I do all my own stuff but my brother is in TN. I"m too far away to do his install so he's trying his luck with the local "know-it-alls" LOL
Where at in Tn, sounds like he needs to stop going to these cracker jack shops and visit Sonus Car Audio.

Nashville...

I'll be the first to say that we don't have many knowledgeable shops around the Nashville area. We do have 2 that I know of though. 12 gauge audio and Smiley Audio. If he wants/needs any info just let me know as the guy that owns Smiley is someone I compete with in Meca. Guy from 12 gauge that does box building comes and demos at a some of the events as well.

I think I've heard of Smiley before did he use to be @ House of Bass? He's had work done by Dave @ 12 gauge before but I've found a couple of issues when troubleshooting buddies vehicles. I know nobody is perfect but I don't charge near what these shops do.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine went to an alternator rebuild place and the man told him that he can do a 200 amp alt but anything bigger won't charge unless it's on the interstate.

This sounds false to me but I'm by no means a professional. BTW, its going in a 1997 chevy tahoe 5.7L.

Are you the same dude that said another shop said that SHCA OFC wire, and all OFC wire is all the same?

Fuck.. where do you go?? and visit???... You need to just stop..

I'm in Ohio and I do all my own stuff but my brother is in TN. I"m too far away to do his install so he's trying his luck with the local "know-it-alls" LOL
Where at in Tn, sounds like he needs to stop going to these cracker jack shops and visit Sonus Car Audio.

Nashville...

I'll be the first to say that we don't have many knowledgeable shops around the Nashville area. We do have 2 that I know of though. 12 gauge audio and Smiley Audio. If he wants/needs any info just let me know as the guy that owns Smiley is someone I compete with in Meca. Guy from 12 gauge that does box building comes and demos at a some of the events as well.

I think I've heard of Smiley before did he use to be @ House of Bass? He's had work done by Dave @ 12 gauge before but I've found a couple of issues when troubleshooting buddies vehicles. I know nobody is perfect but I don't charge near what these shops do.

Yes, House of Bass. It is now his shop and he is currently open to the public. I know nothing about him getting work done by Dave directly. We all have our days we let things go. Sometimes forgetting to set SS frequency level to 30 or something. I don't consider myself a know it all when it comes to car audio, but I do spend my time wisely and research quite extensively before I go at them. Both Mike and Dave are good guys and I would recommend either of them quickly just depending on what type of work you need done. Smiley will build you a sub from the ground up. Dave has Buck design enclosures. Mike builds award winning systems as well. His work speaks for itself. Dave can get you loud just as well if you got the money. Both of these guys are in the business to make money and don't cut corners so if you want to get loud you have to pay to play. If you've heard a bad review about either of them it's because someone came in being cheap and got treated cheap. You can't come somewhere and spend $500 and expect a $5000 job. These guys do entirely different kinds of work too. Just recently I seen smiley building 2 separate 4th order bandpass boxes for 2 10" sundown z's in a new camaro firing through the back deck. 2 weeks prior I was at Dave's shop watching a tiny car getting walled. While I personally do my own work. I don't like working on other peoples stuff so they get my respect for sure.

What he was telling your friend is that there is a compromise between maximum output and idle output in the size alternator you're looking for. He is correct, although his choice of wording is somewhat misleading. By "highway" he means, when engine RPM is above 2,000. Of course the alternator will "charge" at an idle, but not like it will at "cruise" - again, his choice of wording is misleading

I'd listen to Snafu. He knows his stuff and is correct. I think that effect can be combated with a smaller pulley on the alt in order to boost idle output, but i believe it can hurt the lifespan of the alt.

Archived