Cbarnett_2500 Posted September 19, 2013 Report Posted September 19, 2013 Hi everyone! The name's Cody. I'm sure y'all don't want me to bore you with details of who I am, so I'll just cut to the chase. Right now, I am running a pretty nice setup, in my opinion, in my 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 EXT. It consists of 4 gauge wiring connected to my Sound Ordinance amp (pushing 300 RMS @ 4 Ohm / 500 RMS @ 2 Ohm) which is powering two NVX Nsw 124 subs (info here: NVX NSW124 12" Dual 4 ohm N-Series Car Subwoofer). I've wired the subs into a ported box with 4.26 cubic feet of displacement. I've had the system for about 6 months now and am ready to upgrade. I'm building a box, at the moment, that will incorporate 4 NVX Nsw 124 subs ported to 34 HZ. After some calculation, the box will have 8.67 cubic feet of displacement. The amp I would like to use is this: Planet Audio AC3000.1D 3000W Max Monoblock Power Amplifier. I'll be powering it with a 0/1 gauge wire. My question is, will I have to upgrade my battery, alternator, etc? It'll only be running 1400 RMS max. Also, will I have to install any sort of capacitor or equalizer? Thanks for your help! Cbarnett_2500
rockFord_Expedition Posted September 19, 2013 Report Posted September 19, 2013 Hey Cody, welcome to the forum! Just curious where you are going to fit an 8+ ft3 box in your truck? Anyways, as far as your question goes, what is your OEM alt rated at? You will most likely need a better battery and a HO Alt never hurts man. Are you not running an amp for your mids/highs? You need to do your big 3 if you haven't already. More like big 4, but hopefully you get it... Old School/New School RF Build March 2015 SOTM Winner How to crimp large wire
ham4864 Posted September 19, 2013 Report Posted September 19, 2013 Hey Cody, welcome to the forum! Just curious where you are going to fit an 8+ ft3 box in your truck? Anyways, as far as your question goes, what is your OEM alt rated at? You will most likely need a better battery and a HO Alt never hurts man. Are you not running an amp for your mids/highs? You need to do your big 3 if you haven't already. More like big 4, but hopefully you get it... +1^^^, scrap the cap. some have run 1400 watts and no dimming. All depends on the vehicle. Do the BIG 3/4 Do 1 or 2 runs of 1/0 for future upgrades won't hurt. 2009 bmw 5 series Head Unit Stock Amplifier-JL Audio JX 360/4 Processor- Audiocontrol LC6
rockFord_Expedition Posted September 19, 2013 Report Posted September 19, 2013 Your edit includes a question about a cap and an eq. Both can be beneficial when used right. Regarding a capacitor, the biggest problem with those is that most people don't know how to use them, and a lot of people think they're buying a good cap, but its really just an expensive crappy volt meter. If your electrical can carry the cap without making other things suffer, they do help especially when using amps with non regulated power supplies. In your particular set up, buying a cap and throwing it in with what you already have wont help anything. An eq although wouldn't hurt anything, I can really speak on yet because I don't know what head unit you have or what your mid/high/amp set up is. Old School/New School RF Build March 2015 SOTM Winner How to crimp large wire
Cbarnett_2500 Posted September 19, 2013 Author Report Posted September 19, 2013 Hey Cody, welcome to the forum! Just curious where you are going to fit an 8+ ft3 box in your truck? Anyways, as far as your question goes, what is your OEM alt rated at? You will most likely need a better battery and a HO Alt never hurts man. Are you not running an amp for your mids/highs? You need to do your big 3 if you haven't already. More like big 4, but hopefully you get it... I'm taking out my back seat and putting the box there. My alternator, as far as I know, is rated at 140 amps. It's just stock. I've been thinking about doing the big 3/4, but haven't saved enough money to do so. Can I run the setup without them for a while, or are they mandatory? My mids/highs are just run by my head unit atm. I'm not a money bag
rockFord_Expedition Posted September 19, 2013 Report Posted September 19, 2013 Hey Cody, welcome to the forum! Just curious where you are going to fit an 8+ ft3 box in your truck? Anyways, as far as your question goes, what is your OEM alt rated at? You will most likely need a better battery and a HO Alt never hurts man. Are you not running an amp for your mids/highs? You need to do your big 3 if you haven't already. More like big 4, but hopefully you get it... I'm taking out my back seat and putting the box there. My alternator, as far as I know, is rated at 140 amps. It's just stock. I've been thinking about doing the big 3/4, but haven't saved enough money to do so. Can I run the setup without them for a while, or are they mandatory? My mids/highs are just run by my head unit atm. I'm not a money bag So you are using high level inputs or a hi to low converter for your amp signal then right? As your set up stands I would say no to the cap and the eq. You could spend that money in better places. Like doing your big 3 with one of these. A guy that goes by Snafu on here makes them, they are 2nd to none and come with clear instructions specific to your application. Since you joined the forum you get 10% off for being a member also. Can you run your setup without upgrading your electrical? Of course! Should you? No! Do some reading in the electrical section of this forum. 140 A is pretty beefy for an OEM alt, but remember that no matter what alt you are talking about, OEM or aftermarket, none of them put out their full rated power all the time. Your 140 amps is most likely a cold rating at max RPM's. When you are pushing your system hard your electrical will suffer. So will your system. I know, we all want instant gratification and its tempting to just say forget the electrical and just put in your amp and subs. Trial and error is how we all learn and experience is the best teacher. At the end of the day it is your call, but speaking from experience, prep your electrical first, sound deaden 2nd, then install your equipment. Old School/New School RF Build March 2015 SOTM Winner How to crimp large wire
Cbarnett_2500 Posted September 19, 2013 Author Report Posted September 19, 2013 Hey Cody, welcome to the forum! Just curious where you are going to fit an 8+ ft3 box in your truck? Anyways, as far as your question goes, what is your OEM alt rated at? You will most likely need a better battery and a HO Alt never hurts man. Are you not running an amp for your mids/highs? You need to do your big 3 if you haven't already. More like big 4, but hopefully you get it... I'm taking out my back seat and putting the box there. My alternator, as far as I know, is rated at 140 amps. It's just stock. I've been thinking about doing the big 3/4, but haven't saved enough money to do so. Can I run the setup without them for a while, or are they mandatory? My mids/highs are just run by my head unit atm. I'm not a money bag So you are using high level inputs or a hi to low converter for your amp signal then right? As your set up stands I would say no to the cap and the eq. You could spend that money in better places. Like doing your big 3 with one of these. A guy that goes by Snafu on here makes them, they are 2nd to none and come with clear instructions specific to your application. Since you joined the forum you get 10% off for being a member also. Can you run your setup without upgrading your electrical? Of course! Should you? No! Do some reading in the electrical section of this forum. 140 A is pretty beefy for an OEM alt, but remember that no matter what alt you are talking about, OEM or aftermarket, none of them put out their full rated power all the time. Your 140 amps is most likely a cold rating at max RPM's. When you are pushing your system hard your electrical will suffer. So will your system. I know, we all want instant gratification and its tempting to just say forget the electrical and just put in your amp and subs. Trial and error is how we all learn and experience is the best teacher. At the end of the day it is your call, but speaking from experience, prep your electrical first, sound deaden 2nd, then install your equipment. Awesome! Thank you so much for your help! If you would like, you can go ahead and put this thread in lockdown mode.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.