Subwoofers play when receiver is off

What do you mean by they play when the receiver is off? Is there music, or just noise?

If your amp is on and sound is coming from the speakers that means you have:

1. Power to the positive amp terminal
  2. The amp is grounded
  3. There is signal (or noise) in your RCA's
  4. There is power going to the amps remote turn on lead

Of the above, #'s 3 and 4 shouldn't exist when your HU is off.

I would make sure your RCA's are connected well to your HU and check for voltage at the amp (on the turn on lead) when the head unit is both on and off.

Give us more info and we can go from there as there are a few other things to try

3 and 4 do exist 4 i know because i spliced the connection from the 12volt rail coming from the psu into the amp and the remote terminal the psu and amp are still on after the receiver is off until i unplug the psu, but why is there signal from the rca's when the receiver is off it's just weird....

One way of checking is to take another signal source, iPod, smartphone, laptop, whatever and get a 3.5 mm to rca cable, plug that in to the amp and see if there is still noise like you are describing.

Also, is this problem new, or has it always done this?

You could be using the wrong type (notice I didn't say brand) of RCA. Balanced/Unbalanced require different types to reject noise effectively.

alright will do will be back with the results in like 5mins or less

Damn i guess none of the rca's in my house work or it is just that the output from my receiver got messed up because 3.5mm jack to rca's with my laptop everything was working perfect...

There you go.....

Troubleshooting like a pro!

If you have tried multiple RCA's with the same H.U. and get the same bad results, you may need a different type of RCA and it could be coincidence that they are all the same (wrong) style.

So different RCA's or maybe you have a bad output on your H.U.

I still am not sure if your residual voltage on the turn on lead is solved yet either. You could have a bad H.U. bro.

If you have tried multiple RCA's with the same H.U. and get the same bad results, you may need a different type of RCA and it could be coincidence that they are all the same (wrong) style.

So different RCA's or maybe you have a bad output on your H.U.

I still am not sure if your residual voltage on the turn on lead is solved yet either. You could have a bad H.U. bro.

Thanks a ton for the help I think i am going to try and output to the wireless unit i have to the speaker that came with it and go from there. All of the rca's i have are just old red/white rca's but the strange thing which i should have mentioned earlier is that i had the setup working with the H.U on like a couple of weeks ago and after everything went kaput after changing the rca's because something was up with no sound going to the subs with my ps3 but it still worked with the wireless unit..... Now both have the same problem the ps3 had.

Archived