Subwoofers play when receiver is off

Ok so i have 2 10" woofers hooked up to a magna bass amp which is being powered by a psu. So when the receiver is on the subs will not play but as soon as i turn off the receiver they play.. So does anybody know is my amp blown or what is going on? A solid answer or any kind of speculation is much appreciated!

What do you mean by they play when the receiver is off? Is there music, or just noise?

If your amp is on and sound is coming from the speakers that means you have:

1. Power to the positive amp terminal
  2. The amp is grounded
  3. There is signal (or noise) in your RCA's
  4. There is power going to the amps remote turn on lead

Of the above, #'s 3 and 4 shouldn't exist when your HU is off.

I would make sure your RCA's are connected well to your HU and check for voltage at the amp (on the turn on lead) when the head unit is both on and off.

Give us more info and we can go from there as there are a few other things to try

How do you know they play when the receiver is off?

Where do they get a source signal?

What are they actually "playing"!

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

How do you know they play when the receiver is off?

Where do they get a source signal?

What are they actually "playing"!

Laptop, with a sony air wireless deal that is also hooked up to my receiver. They staight up start bumping my music but it doesn't sound as good as it should... so the rest of my system is off and the subs come on lol.....

How is the remote turn-on controlled on the amp?

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

What do you mean by they play when the receiver is off? Is there music, or just noise?

2. The amp is grounded

I would make sure your RCA's are connected well to your HU and check for voltage at the amp (on the turn on lead) when the head unit is both on and off.

Give us more info and we can go from there as there are a few other things to try

3 and 4 do exist 4 i know because i spliced the connection from the 12volt rail coming from the psu into the amp and the remote terminal the psu and amp are still on after the receiver is off until i unplug the psu, but why is there signal from the rca's when the receiver is off it's just weird....

2. The amp is grounded

3 and 4 do exist 4 i know because i spliced the connection from the 12volt rail coming from the psu into the amp and the remote terminal the psu and amp are still on after the receiver is off until i unplug the psu, but why is there signal from the rca's when the receiver is off it's just weird....

One way of checking is to take another signal source, iPod, smartphone, laptop, whatever and get a 3.5 mm to rca cable, plug that in to the amp and see if there is still noise like you are describing.

Also, is this problem new, or has it always done this?

You could be using the wrong type (notice I didn't say brand) of RCA. Balanced/Unbalanced require different types to reject noise effectively.

2. The amp is grounded

One way of checking is to take another signal source, iPod, smartphone, laptop, whatever and get a 3.5 mm to rca cable, plug that in to the amp and see if there is still noise like you are describing.

Also, is this problem new, or has it always done this?

You could be using the wrong type (notice I didn't say brand) of RCA. Balanced/Unbalanced require different types to reject noise effectively.

alright will do will be back with the results in like 5mins or less

• Power to the positive amp terminal
  • The amp is grounded
  • There is signal (or noise) in your RCA's
  • There is power going to the amps remote turn on lead

What outputs are you using from the receiver?

Sounds like the wrong outputs maybe.

When the receiver is on, the connections don't connect the signal.

When the receiver is off the connections turn into a "pass-through" or you're getting leakage of some sort....

2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

SOTM BUILD:

Archived