Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

SoundQubed ohm ratings


axevon

Recommended Posts

Posted

I just got a SoundQubed SDC 2.5 12" (dual 4 ohm) in the mail today and promptly took the Multimeter to the direct leads to test the sub.

Each coil reads 5.9 ohms and I'm not sure if it is close enough to 4.

I realize that coils rarely every read exactly 4 and they often read less than their "ohm rating".

So how much is too much? I tested both at the end of the direct leads and where the lead is in the spider. The multimeter is some cheap POS from Harbor Freight if that has any effect.

Am I doing anything wrong and/or is the coil resistance too high?

Dorm room setup:

SQ SDC2.5 12" @ 8 ohms

Klipsch 300 watt home theater sub amp

Marantz 1030 amplifier

Future car build:

Audio Technix 1200.1d

Fi SSD 12 w/ cooling and flatwind coil

6th order dual reflex enclosure

Posted

Thay sounds fine its most likely resistance in the leads of the dmm put the positive and negative leads on the dmm together and see what it reads thats the resistance then minus that from the 5.9 to get your coil reading

My setup,

Digital Designs M80

3 Re audio 10's ported tuned to 36 hz

Kenwood x-696

SHCA 0 gauge

Polk audio coax running off hu

Posted

Thanks man, the DMM resistance is 1.7 ohm so I should be fine.

Thanks for the input! I feel a little noobish for not thinking of that but we all learn new things haha

Dorm room setup:

SQ SDC2.5 12" @ 8 ohms

Klipsch 300 watt home theater sub amp

Marantz 1030 amplifier

Future car build:

Audio Technix 1200.1d

Fi SSD 12 w/ cooling and flatwind coil

6th order dual reflex enclosure

Posted

No problem! I did the same thing i have the same harbor freight dmm and was thinking wtf when i checked my coils glad i could help!

My setup,

Digital Designs M80

3 Re audio 10's ported tuned to 36 hz

Kenwood x-696

SHCA 0 gauge

Polk audio coax running off hu

Posted

Your meter may not be accurate. Buy a Fluke meter.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/2438-jeep-commander/


th_140x100square.jpgMechman_140x100px.JPGDCHome.jpgI

image_url-76414-1423274612_thumb.jpgimage_url-76414-1423320284_thumb.jpg

Pioneer P99RS
Ampere 3800
2-Ampere 125/4
4-6.5 inch Hertz HSK XL Mids
4-8 inch JL Audio ZR Midwoofer

2-5.25 Satori Mids
2-Morel Tweeters, 2 Hertz Milles 3 inch on A pillars
2-Hertz Silk tweeters
DC Audio Level 5/12
Skyhigh Wire
Mechman 320
XS Power D3100

MO Funniest Thread of the Year 2013: http://www.stevemead...dy-being-a-pos/

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 440 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...