Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Pseudo Infinite Baffle ?


AtlasMick

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hello all, I'm a new user and just picked up a used set of DC audio 12's level 2 and Sundown 2000.1 amp to put into an FRS.

I got a pretty amazing deal on them so I need advice on the best way to install them.

I'm looking at two options, my two shared highest priorities are weight savings and sound quality, so I was considering two options, fiberglassing two sealed boxes in the rear seat tubs or a birch wood wall replacing the rear seat backrest and sealing off the trunk from the cabin.

The first option is the easiest but I have no idea how much airspace these subwoofers need to get SQ.

The second option is kinda a pseudo infinite baffle I think, since I won't be able to seal the trunk off from the exterior (air leaks around taillights etc.) The trunk with everything that I have removed is around 10 ft3.

Any suggestions?

Posted

It's a sharp looking car. I had to google it to get a better idea of what you meant. I would check with the reps on here that are affiliated with DC products. Most subs can work for an IB install. Some better than others. I did find a link and it mentions .75 for sealed so a corner enclosure on either side would work. IB would work too and might be easier but you might have less output than sealed. That's why people run IB subs in multiples. (I use 3 18") They do have great xmax and a more middle of the road qts which should provide accuracy and output which is a plus. The Fs is higher than I would like for IB but with cabin gain and that xmax it shouldn't be an issue.

http://dcsoundlab.com/level2.html

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Posted

If I go sealed I'll have approximately .5 ft3. Are there any tips/advice for putting them in slightly smaller enclosures.

From an SQ viewpoint, would the IB setup into 10 ft3 or sealed into 0.5ft3 be better with the same equipment (two DC lv. 2 12's and SAX 2000.1)

Posted

You would need to line them with poly fill or dacron if they were undersized and the low end would suffer a bit. Many people who say they are into SQ say they don't need extension below 30 hz but I disagree. There is plenty of music out there that is Hell and gone from rap that has low freq. That being said maybe the IB setup would be your best bet. Don't worry about the gap between the outside of the car and the trunk at first. Some cars benefit from this while others suffer. Worry more about sealing the gap between the trunk and the cabin. It will give you delay issues and it won't sound right. Make sure the baffle is thick and has multiple attach points to the car.

My baffle is 2 1/4" thick and where it mounts to the car is 4"+. You'll also need to reinforce your rear deck. When I first put mine in it rattled with bass and it moved the stage back. The trunk and trunk lid will need deadening too. I also used a couple layers of weatherstripping on the lid and where it meets the body of the car. Now I can play full tilt and there is no loud rattles outside the car. lol IB is an effortless bass and sounds very natural and accurate. Short of building another system geared for spl I doubt I will do anything else sub wise.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 6040 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...