Second Skin Audio

Box Design for 2 Type R's

EP95

Hey all, I'm going to be building a box for a friend for 2 alpine type R's in a 97 4 door explorer and need a box designed for me. there going to be powered by a Belva BB2000D. I Put the TS into winISD and it gave me 4.3 Cu Ft and tuned to 27hz. he wants to be able to play songs like put on at full tilt and I was wondering it this would work for him.

There are lots of folks here who would be happy to help you, but we need a lot more info before we can do so. What size type R's, what model, there have been a lot of type R's over the years and they aren't the same. What are the max dimensions you have to work with? WinISD tends to make the box bigger and tuned lower than what most people end up putting in their vehicles. It gives you a flatter response curve but that may or may not be what you want.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

The subs Are 12" dual 2ohms. they're there new models with the black cones,1000w rms. He's got em in a prefab tuned to about 50hz powered off a lanzar heritage series "2000w" 4 channel bridged at .5 ohms(yes .5) although hes getting a new amp after i build the box, and the amp doesn't seem to be clipping, although it does get hot the subs dont. hes got the entire cargo area for space although I don't know the exact dimensions of it. I'll be able to measure it tomorrow.

Edit

I just looked at the fuse rating of the amp, it has 40amps of fusing so if( and a big if) the amp is atleast 60% efficient it has about 350 watts to give although the fuse's are probably larger than need for this amp.

OK I looked them up and Alpine recommends 1.0 - 1.5 cubic feet per driver and a 32-37 Hz tuning. You might talk to your friend about what kind of tuning he would like.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

I'll ask him about it when I see him. I'm still surprised that his amp hasn't caught on fire or went into protect considering how low of an ohm level its seeing. He seems to prefer the lower bass frequencies(decaf type stuff) over the higher ones.

the max dimensions of the box are: 40" wide, 40" deep, and 20" tall. he said he liked 28hz best so i guess the lower tuned the better. I do have him fixated on getting a 18" sundown x series for christmas, and he wants to try and use the same box so the bigger the better. unless building a new box would be better

the max dimensions of the box are: 40" wide, 40" deep, and 20" tall. he said he liked 28hz best so i guess the lower tuned the better. I do have him fixated on getting a 18" sundown x series for christmas, and he wants to try and use the same box so the bigger the better. unless building a new box would be better

Trying to build a box for two 12"s than can later take one 15" is probably not going to work out well. You would be much better off building two boxes, or just waiting until you get the Sundown X-18 and just build a box for that.

Builds:

• 4 weeks later...

He's decided to stick with the 12's for now so heres what i came up with in Torres. This isnt accounting for bracing or subs.nflzz0M.png

Archived