B-Large Posted December 1, 2013 Report Posted December 1, 2013 I have an fi ssd 12 on the way. I want to design my own ported enclosure for my vw golf R. I will be using a rockford T-1000 bdcp @ 2ohms with signal from an audio control lc2i. I am looking for overall sound quality on rock/alternative music but also enjoy getting loud occasionally with dub-step type music. My current set up is rear facing port and sub with a single sa-8v2. I am very happy with the way it sounds but understand that the ssd enclosure will be much closer to the rear hatch trim and may change sound/create rattles. I am leaning towards a sub and port upward with 2.2 cubes net @33hz. Questions i have are: Should i face sub and port upward, sub and port rear facing, or sub up/port rear facing? Is it possible to have a properly designed enclosure that could face sub/port up or rear facing? Can i fire the sub?port upward with cargo cover in place? And if so how much space in between cargo cover and enclosure face is needed? I have been trying to do my the research and am not expecting an answer for "the best". Any insight or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Added potential design pic. please let me know what you think.
jmfrb1 Posted December 2, 2013 Report Posted December 2, 2013 Not really much help but I have 2 of the ssd's on a single t1500bdcp shit slams man and hits notes very clearly. Nice set up you got there. Throw up some videos brotha I would love to see the final product
B-Large Posted December 2, 2013 Author Report Posted December 2, 2013 Not really much help but I have 2 of the ssd's on a single t1500bdcp shit slams man and hits notes very clearly. Nice set up you got there. Throw up some videos brotha I would love to see the final product Right on. I'm a little new to the forum seen. Working on an enclosure design now to post up and maybe that will help get some opinions/help going.
jmfrb1 Posted December 2, 2013 Report Posted December 2, 2013 I'm running 2 cubes to each with and my port is a little on the small side. Honestly don't remember how many square inches my port is. But in a 2.2 cu box they'll sound amazing. I wish I had the room for that but 2 a piece was all I could fit and I'm tuned to 32 But mine is for rap. I'll find the plans for my box if that'll help any
B-Large Posted December 2, 2013 Author Report Posted December 2, 2013 I'm running 2 cubes to each with and my port is a little on the small side. Honestly don't remember how many square inches my port is. But in a 2.2 cu box they'll sound amazing. I wish I had the room for that but 2 a piece was all I could fit and I'm tuned to 32 But mine is for rap. I'll find the plans for my box if that'll help any Definitely appreciate it but shouldn't be necessary. When i get them done i'm going to see how far off my plans are first.
B-Large Posted December 2, 2013 Author Report Posted December 2, 2013 Here is a possible design i drew up that may still need a little work. Specs are: port area-40.5"(13.5 X 3 spec was cut out of pic) port length-31.06 actual net volume with sub and no bracing- 2.4ft3 tuning-34 or 35hz? (all calculations are subject to noob error) I have been learning a lot but am still confused on the tuning. I am going for SQl but since im still learning think i should be around fi's suggested 33hz tune. Please take a quick look and let me know what you think.
Triticum Agricolam Posted December 2, 2013 Report Posted December 2, 2013 If you are going to kerf bend the inside corner of the port like that I would make the extra effort and use a kerf bend for the vent mouth as well. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
B-Large Posted December 3, 2013 Author Report Posted December 3, 2013 If you are going to kerf bend the inside corner of the port like that I would make the extra effort and use a kerf bend for the vent mouth as well. I agree but i am already having trouble confirming my tuning frequency. Would a port exit with a kerf affect the affective port length?
Triticum Agricolam Posted December 3, 2013 Report Posted December 3, 2013 I agree but i am already having trouble confirming my tuning frequency. Would a port exit with a kerf affect the affective port length? Yes it would. I if you did a kerf bend with a 2" outside radius on one side you would need to increase your port length by 1/2". Ideally you would use kerf bends in both places but if it were me I'd do the kerf bent port mouth and just do a 3/4" round over on the corner inside the port with a 45 piece across from it. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
B-Large Posted December 3, 2013 Author Report Posted December 3, 2013 I agree but i am already having trouble confirming my tuning frequency. Would a port exit with a kerf affect the affective port length? Yes it would. I if you did a kerf bend with a 2" outside radius on one side you would need to increase your port length by 1/2". Ideally you would use kerf bends in both places but if it were me I'd do the kerf bent port mouth and just do a 3/4" round over on the corner inside the port with a 45 piece across from it. Alright, this will be my first enclosure build designed by me so maybe I'm over complicating things. Honestly I think i just like the project/challenge portion of building an enclosure and that is what led me to designing a kerf bend enclosure. A single kerf bend at the exit would be easier but would it have the same affect as smoothing a 90 and maintaining near constant port area?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.