Second Skin Audio

Can someone explain how to find the square inch per cubic feet when designing port?

osiris10012

Ok JoeX I redid the port by measuring centerline to centerline and getting it to the 25.75". Does this look better? I got the port dimension by using the12volt's slot calculator with 1.38 cu.(gross) for the volume. Not sure how to tune it to the net, but I think I am getting closer to what I need. Do I factor the sub displacement in and then calculate the port length?

HopefullyTheLast_zpse9ad01ca.png

Ok JoeX I redid the port by measuring centerline to centerline and getting it to the 25.75". Does this look better? I got the port dimension by using the12volt's slot calculator with 1.38 cu.(gross) for the volume. Not sure how to tune it to the net, but I think I am getting closer to what I need. Do I factor the sub displacement in and then calculate the port length?

You need to factor in the sub displacement and the port's displacement. Basically the net volume of your enclosure is the free air space you have left. Figure out what you have for net volume on your design now and use that number to calculate the port length again. Its going to have to be longer since your net volume is going to be less than 1.38.

Its tricky in your case because you need to remove the amount of volume the port takes up, but you don't know what that will be until you calculate the length of the port.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Programs such as http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31 account for port displacement as you increase the length of port. The only thing you have to account for before hand is the sub displacement. No reason in trying to figure out net volume before calculating your port.

2003 Tahoe

dc 7.5k

dc level 5 15's (3)

MMats 341's

xs power batts

lots of sky high cable

dual alts(came off the sky-high gmc and don't know who made them)

ipad in center console

vu-din in center console

all being ripped out and being sold

Programs such as http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31 account for port displacement as you increase the length of port. The only thing you have to account for before hand is the sub displacement. No reason in trying to figure out net volume before calculating your port.

I like that online calculator, but I don't see how it accounts for port displacement in its calculations.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

I like that online calculator, but I don't see how it accounts for port displacement in its calculations.

the program tells you the port length after you tell it the volume and desired tuning. There will be no way for you to know the net volume before the program advises a length.

2003 Tahoe

dc 7.5k

dc level 5 15's (3)

MMats 341's

xs power batts

lots of sky high cable

ipad in center console

vu-din in center console

the program tells you the port length after you tell it the volume and desired tuning. There will be no way for you to know the net volume before the program advises a length.

There is no way for the program to know how much volume the port takes up. For it to know that it would have the know the thickness of the material the port is made from and how its configured inside the box in terms of corners/bends/etc all of which affect how much volume the port uses.

Its easy to know the net volume of the box before you start. If I have a sub that needs 2.0 cu ft of volume then that's my net. I then add in the speaker displacement and port displacement afterwards to get my gross volume.

Builds:

No.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

There is no way for the program to know how much volume the port takes up. For it to know that it would have the know the thickness of the material the port is made from and how its configured inside the box in terms of corners/bends/etc all of which affect how much volume the port uses.

Its easy to know the net volume of the box before you start. If I have a sub that needs 2.0 cu ft of volume then that's my net. I then add in the speaker displacement and port displacement afterwards to get my gross volume.

You make some good points. I may have been using it wrong. I just read it over and over and maybe it's the wording. I will compare the numbers to the re calculator just for my own peace of mind. Thanks.

2003 Tahoe

dc 7.5k

dc level 5 15's (3)

MMats 341's

xs power batts

lots of sky high cable

ipad in center console

vu-din in center console

No.

Wow. Your convincing.

2003 Tahoe

dc 7.5k

dc level 5 15's (3)

MMats 341's

xs power batts

lots of sky high cable

ipad in center console

vu-din in center console

Archived