Search Engine Optimization Questions

So i wasn't positive where to post this, so i figured off topic may be the best place.

I am starting a new business upon graduation next week. Long story short my dad has owned this business for 25+ years in one location, and i am basically starting the same business in the DFW area, still using the same name, distributors, etc. So essentially im not really starting a new business, but more expanding our current business. I already have the building, my displays are stocked and im ready to open, just waiting to graduate college on the 14th.

Since i decided this is what i wanted to do, i have been researching everything about business i can. I am a business management major, but sadly they dont teach everything they should about businesses in my opinion.

My dad is real old school and has never really used technology to his advantage, since when he started there was no internet, Facebook, Google, etc. So i have built us a website at www.customaffects.com and would like to sooner or later start an online marketplace on our website.

I have been reading about SEO and from my understanding you need to use keywords and stuff on your page in order to link up to other pages, in which then i will be able to be seen more easily when people search on google or whatever it may be. Am i right with this thinking? And can someone explain how to do this? I have seen people spending 400-500 dollars a month on adwords and stuff like that but i really dont want to spend alot while were getting started. I figured there is a lot smarter people on here than me so any help would be appreciated.

Archived