Mick Miller Posted December 11, 2013 Report Posted December 11, 2013 There are some really great sound quality headunits out there, as well as units that have plenty of features, but it looks like no one head unit really does it all. This is all just an hypothetical situation / debate and I'm grateful for any input from the community. If I had unlimited cash supplies I would undoubtedly pursue this, but I do not. So I was thinking, a tablet/small laptop computer combo would be an excellent solution, if you could either bypass a regular CD receiver and go directly to a processor or amplifier with RCA pass-throughs it would enable you to upgrade your sound card as they become better or ware out without the need of buying an entirely new headunit. Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271005 There are also programs (apps), some free some for pay that allow you to remotely control your computer from your tablet. But the genius here is that you would be able to remotely control your audio via itunes or another program that would output the signal through the RCA's of the sound card directly from the computer to your system. Then you also have all the capabilities of a tablet's apps, Google maps for navigation, internet browsers, games, etc, perhaps even eventually an app that would allow you to see the computers videocard inputs through the tablet (backup, corner, and dash cams). With the tablet in your dash controlling everything but not actually doing any processing for the sound system its now essentially a cheaper, smaller, higher resolution touchscreen monitor, with the ability to use a mobile carrier's signal to obtain internet. So, these were just some ideas going through my head. I know that there is already someone from Canada working on a program for a headunit to work seamlessly with android and be upgradable, likely the next evolution in car audio. (also sorry about the citation here, I can't recall his name, if you know it please mention him below for others to research). However, my intention is to remove the headunit entirely, and store a computer somewhere remotely in the car, which now makes your "headunit," in a sense, also fully upgradeable - programming, sound cards, video cards, storage capacity, the list goes on.
Mick Miller Posted December 12, 2013 Author Report Posted December 12, 2013 No one interested in brainstorming ideas for this? Anyone know of any people attempting it?
NCRdesigns Posted December 19, 2013 Report Posted December 19, 2013 This stuff is very common in car audio now having done between 15-20 of these installs myself would be happy to go over ideas with you check out my thread I just posted with some of the installs http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/180174-some-of-my-computer-ipad-installs/ "Custom isn't bought its created"
Mick Miller Posted December 19, 2013 Author Report Posted December 19, 2013 I'm interested in the logistics of it, since I haven't really been able to find posts where people explain how its done, just iPad here, Nexus 7 there, etc.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.