Am I the only one noticing this??

Ya I haul equip now and then. I'm the dispatcher for a large construction company in Maine. I only drive Lowbed when I have guys on vaca and such. I was an operator before I took this job. Usually on a Cat D6N LGP doing fine grading and ran large excavators. (345 etc). I have family in Ca. San Fran and Carmel. I'm coming out there next sept!

95 Civic 4 door-

2005 Chevy SilveradoSkar 15' IVX (2)Skar SK 800.1DSkar SK 85.4 A/B - Yet to be installed

2-Deep cycle Marine Batteries

Big 3

A whole shit load of 1/0 welding cable. Lil overkill for what I have but I have it so Im using it!

I've seen my fair share of bad advice from people who are given more credit than they deserve. Mostly because they did this or that 1 cool thing so people view them to know more than they really do. Then when someone else finally corrects them, the butthurt flares out of control ;)

This. Also applies to people that have been doing something for 15 years. Sadly, duration is not a qualityIf you've been doing it wrong for 20+ years. Some things are simple science and can be thought out properly.

But if you have two differing opinions, then a debate only helps the community. Arguing over who is right or what is louder don't serve a purpose other than to stroke each other's e peen. But when you start going into subjects like crimp, soldering, or using both techniques...then of course a debate is going to ensue. You can only hope people are smart enough to glean the correct information.

Besides OP...you've been here since like March of this year, lol.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

So am I out of line for making this observation because I'm new? Not being a smartass or anything...just don't want to piss people off.

95 Civic 4 door-

2005 Chevy SilveradoSkar 15' IVX (2)Skar SK 800.1DSkar SK 85.4 A/B - Yet to be installed

Big 3

A whole shit load of 1/0 welding cable. Lil overkill for what I have but I have it so Im using it!

Out of line? No. But it is pretty funny to me when someone who's been here for 8 months is talking about how the forum is changing. You said it yourself, you're new.

But that is just a side note and not my actual point which is: arguing for the sake of arguing is just stupid. But when you're on a forum like this where you have engineers, scientists, innovators, competitors, and a handful of experienced DIYers, you're going to have opposing opinions and facts. And to me that's ok, in fact welcomed. Science in theory differs from science on paper, which can vary from practical application to independent install.

For me, debates should accomplish one of two things, either you change your mind, opinion, or belief based on new perspectives and evidence or you substantiate your idea or opinion with new perspective or evidence. Either way it's a win win.

Just because it's still fresh on my mind, how many people have been crimping and soldering? A small argument broke out but what should have been clear is that with scientific fact, a properly crimped terminal cannot be soldered. Snow said it best, if you're doing both you're doing both wrong. Of course there was some vag pain, thread got locked as it derailed, but people should have learned something new there.

Arguments will break out about the amp dyno and the traditional method of clamping. And through debate we discuss proper electrical factors and why certain methods don't work scientifically. I learned a couple things in that thread about stuff I didn't know existed...and I'm someone who has been installing for 12 years.

OFC vs CCA, how technical did that debate go?

Peel and seal. How many learned the difference between mass loading and what an actual damplifier does?

Point is, we can better ourselves from differing opinions, perspectives, and new found evidence. You don't have to agree, you just have to keep an open mind and not shy away from situations that can help grow and evolve our hobby.

Yes I am new. No question. I agree with you 100% about debating. It is very useful when done correctly. Please don't get me wrong here. I was only referring to the "debates" that were non productive and/or unnecessary. I wasn't trying to shit on anyone or anything like that. There are SO MANY PEOPLE on here that has so much knowledge it's scary! I love it! I don't have many post and such because I read a lot. I try and search out my answer before I ask. I learned that very shortly after joining. Also if you ask a question/opinion, you need to be able to take constructive criticism. That's how most of the bs starts.

I wasn't trying to prove a point or make a name for myself by starting this thread. Honestly I was just curious. I hope this clears up my reasoning. I hope to continue learning from you guys.

95 Civic 4 door-

Big 3

No I agree, stupid arguments just look stupid. I just try to read, laugh, then leave before I get tempted to post a response

Archived