Second Skin Audio

Doing a trunk wall

Afficionado

if anyone has suggestions on how to get this box tuned correctly, please chime in.

I'm trying to use a single 8" aero port and having no luck. I've been told 12-18" port area per foot is optimal. Net box volume of 4.5-5.5 cubic feet, and tuning of 31 hz.

max possible box dimensions are 37" width, 18" height, and the box can be fairly deep, 30"+

I think you are going to want more port area then what one 8" aero port is going to give you.

The 12-18 sq in. of port per cube rule is a pretty rough guess at best. 12 in/cube at 4.5 cubes is only 54 sq in. while 18 in/cube at 5.5 cubes is 99, that's a pretty big difference and what your subwoofers actually need doesn't change with box size. I am a fan of using Small's formula to calculate port area. It says you need 85 sq in of port area, if you use aero ports and flare your port mouths generously you can usually get away with up to 20-25% less, but that's still a lot more than the 50 sq in. your 8" port will provide.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

if anyone has suggestions on how to get this box tuned correctly, please chime in.

I'm trying to use a single 8" aero port and having no luck. I've been told 12-18" port area per foot is optimal. Net box volume of 4.5-5.5 cubic feet, and tuning of 31 hz.

max possible box dimensions are 37" width, 18" height, and the box can be fairly deep, 30"+

I think you are going to want more port area then what one 8" aero port is going to give you.

The 12-18 sq in. of port per cube rule is a pretty rough guess at best. 12 in/cube at 4.5 cubes is only 54 sq in. while 18 in/cube at 5.5 cubes is 99, that's a pretty big difference and what your subwoofers actually need doesn't change with box size. I am a fan of using Small's formula to calculate port area. It says you need 85 sq in of port area, if you use aero ports and flare your port mouths generously you can usually get away with up to 20-25% less, but that's still a lot more than the 50 sq in. your 8" port will provide.

Do you have any suggestions? a bigger port? Multiple smaller ports?

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

Also, does an aero port have to be completely interior or completely exterior? or can part of it be in the box and part of it out?

If you have any questions relating to nutrition, lifting, or health in general, feel free to give me a PM and I will give you straight forward advice with no BS involved.

Whatever it takes to get more port area, you could do multiple smaller ports or you could do a single larger port. Its what you want. Personally I prefer well-flared slot ports since I can make them any size that I want, but that's just me.

Yes you can have an aero port partially inside and partially outside the box, you can do that with any port. You just have to know the volume of the port inside the box so you can calculate your enclosure's net internal volume.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Whatever it takes to get more port area, you could do multiple smaller ports or you could do a single larger port. Its what you want. Personally I prefer well-flared slot ports since I can make them any size that I want, but that's just me.

Yes you can have an aero port partially inside and partially outside the box, you can do that with any port. You just have to know the volume of the port inside the box so you can calculate your enclosure's net internal volume.

Okay, i'm going with a aero port because this is only my second box and i want to keep things as easy and simple as possible. Does having the port part way out of the box effect tuning?

Okay, i'm going with a aero port because this is only my second box and i want to keep things as easy and simple as possible. Does having the port part way out of the box effect tuning?

As long as you know what the net volume of the enclosure is to tune the port properly, no, it doesn't not effect tuning.

Builds:

As long as you know what the net volume of the enclosure is to tune the port properly, no, it doesn't not effect tuning.

awesome. thanks!

I'm waiting to hear back from sundown now on what their recommended Port area per square foot is for the x series.

awesome. thanks!

I'm waiting to hear back from sundown now on what their recommended Port area per square foot is for the x series.

Anyone got any input on Port area for the x series?

Archived