The_Hard_Road's first build. 06 Ford Falcon

Okay everyone this is pretty much my first proper build. It's in a 2006 Ford Bf Falcon. It's finished for the moment, but in the new year I plan to tidy things up. Including carpeting the boot, adding a more reliable battery clamp and neatening up the wiring a bit.

Items used:

1x DD9918 Subwoofer

1x Memphis Mojo 4kw monoblock amp

1x Fullriver dc160-12 160ah dry battery

1x 150A fuse between front and rear battery

1x 150A circuit breaker between front and rear battery (Had no fuse holder)

2x 250A fuses between amp and rear battery. Provided with amp

1x Kenwood Kdc-X8016BT head unit

Big packet of dynamat

A lot of fibreglassing materials

A few sheets of mdf

A couple rolls of painters tape

A shitload of screws

This build has gone for over a year now. Mostly because of finances and because I didn't want things half passed.

I got the dd sub cheap off a friend of mine and decided that I wanted to go the route of building a tyre well box.

I began first by purchasing everything I would need before starting the build, which was a bit of a mission with my finances and budgets.

The stereo install was easy as could be. I used a mount that I bought from super cheap auto that replaced a little shelf. The wiring for the speakers are all in the kick panels and very easy to notice. After plugging in the rca leads I mounted it all. Like I said, stereo install was very easy.

Now for the boot. (Please note that I had already run the rcas and rem for amp and cables for 2nd battery)

It started out firstly by removing the spare tyre of course and then masking the tyre well with painters tape and aluminium foil. After that, I started laying dynamat all through the well, and around the boot.

Then a frame was built out of mdf that went around the top of the well and flat up against the rear of the boot to make things level.

After that, the fibreglassing was started. Using the correct resin to catalyst ratio, I began applying the mixture to small sections of the well and sticking the matting on. Then brushing over the matting with more mixture. All up around 7 or 8 layers were made.

Next things was making a top for the box. More mdf was used for this. Not really sure how to word this sorry. But I cut out some mdf a little bit smaller than the frame that was made earlier. This was to leave a bit of a lip to allow a false floor next to the box for the battery to be mounted on. 2 layers of mdf were used on top of the frame. A hole was measured and cut for the sub to be mounted. The top of the box was then mounted to the frame. Next up was the false floor for the battery to sit on. Some more mdf was measured and cut to fit on the lip of the box and the corner of the boot. A few offcuts were used to raise the height of it in the corner. Before mounting the false floor however, an earth wasmade for the battery uunderneath where the false floor would go. Next the false floor was mounted, the battery was placed on it and clamped down. I'm going to replace the clamp at a later date.

Then it was time to mount the amp. Another easy job really. I just used 6 screws to hold it down behind the passenger seats in the boot. I then plugged in all the wires. 0G for the power and earth, both running to the rear battery. And the rcas and rem that I had previously run through the car. And the wires to connect to the sub. I believe I used 8g for that. I just drilled a couple of holes in the back of the box and used nuts and bolts to connect the wires from the amp. After that I just placed the sub on top of the box and connected the wires to the other side of the boltsin the box.

Then came the mounting of the sub which is pretty sstraightforward of course. Just placing it on the hole of the top of the box and screwing it down. Once all this was done it was time to connect the wire from the front battery to the rear battery. I had already run the cable. A thick 0g that I left unconnected to avoid a short. And voila it's all done :)

If I have missed anything or haven't worded something very well please let me know. As this is my first build and the longest bit of writing I have ever done on my phone haha. I hope you all enjoy reading and checking out the pics. A video will come soon enough once I've got it properly tuned. All the gains are sit to the minimum for the moment. But still thumps pretty well. Thanks guys!

Pics will come very shortly once I work out how to add them from my phone

Archived