Crandis16 Posted December 24, 2013 Report Posted December 24, 2013 I'm putting DIY steering wheel controls into my 1998 ford escort zx2. Forget factory steering wheel controls because I"m making steering wheel controls out of cruise controls. I have 5 buttons... pause/play, next track, back track, volume up, volume down. I press pause/play and a 12v signal is sent through my pause/play wire. I am looking at using the PAC SWI-RC with a kenwood kdc-x997 deck. My question is how does the steering wheel control module work. Does it take 12v signals from separate wires then translate it to the correct voltage into the head unit for the correct command? Does the module need different voltages for different commands? Here is what my wiring is like currently. I have 5 wires that put out a 12v signal when the corresponding button is pushed. pause/play (RSM) --------> 12v next track (ACC) ---------> 12v back track (CST) ---------> 12v volume up (ON) ----------> 12v volume down (OFF) -----> 12v Here is what my steering wheel looks like My Red zx2 Build Log My Black zx2 Build Log My Red zx2 UBL
Crandis16 Posted December 24, 2013 Author Report Posted December 24, 2013 I found this on Axxess's website for their steering wheel control device. Sounds like I have to have it programmed first in order to make it work. Remapping the SWC (Steering Wheel Control) Buttons Once you have the ASWC programmed you can then change the steering wheel control button assignment(s). Such as, programing the “Seek Up” button as a “Mute” function. Follow the steps below to remap the SWC buttons: 1) Ideally have the ASWC visible, so you can see the LED flashes to confirm button recognition. 2) Turning “off” the radio is recommended. 3) Within the first 20 seconds of turning the ignition on, press and hold down the “Volume Up” button for at least 20 seconds. 4) The LED will light up solid red. Release “Volume Up” and the LED will go out. “Volume Up” has now been programmed. 5) Follow the list in the Button Assignment section, page 19, to reference the order of what buttons need to be pressed and/or how to bypass a button. 6) After the last button is programmed on your steering wheel (you do not have to go through the whole list), hold down the “Volume Up” button for at least 10 seconds then the LED wil My Red zx2 Build Log My Black zx2 Build Log My Red zx2 UBL
Crandis16 Posted December 24, 2013 Author Report Posted December 24, 2013 Thanks for moving thread. Wasn't sure where it would belong. So commands to head units are determined by the amperage, correct? If so then I need to get a potentiometer to play around with in order to determine the amperage needed to do various commands on the deck. Hopefully I can get information from Kenwood before I start doing testing. My Red zx2 Build Log My Black zx2 Build Log My Red zx2 UBL
paylesspizzaman Posted May 16, 2014 Report Posted May 16, 2014 Did you ever figure out your steering wheel controls? I want to do the same thing you did, but I don't want to blow up my new kenwood.
Crandis16 Posted May 27, 2014 Author Report Posted May 27, 2014 yes I did. Just too busy working on this auto to manual swap in the project car My Red zx2 Build Log My Black zx2 Build Log My Red zx2 UBL
AA98hoe Posted May 27, 2014 Report Posted May 27, 2014 It's low voltage an some are just resistance that changes with buttons TEAM DC AUDIO VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop HEADUNIT:alpine 9886 PREAMP:arcaudio FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4 REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back BATTERIES:6-d1400s TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.
ncc74656 Posted May 28, 2014 Report Posted May 28, 2014 many vehicles use a MUX system so that axxcess piece can detect the varying resistances and send the proper signal to your HU. id recommend going with a PAC peice over an axxess tho, they fail ALL THE TIME. nothing, gutted
Crandis16 Posted May 29, 2014 Author Report Posted May 29, 2014 many vehicles use a MUX system so that axxcess piece can detect the varying resistances and send the proper signal to your HU. id recommend going with a PAC peice over an axxess tho, they fail ALL THE TIME. My plan is to go with PAC. I can wire in resistors to my cruise control, and it should read my steering as a ford edge. My Red zx2 Build Log My Black zx2 Build Log My Red zx2 UBL
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.