Second Skin Audio

Multi-Sub Setup?????

Eroc3k

Ok this just came across my head. Would it be worth the attempt and money to use multi subs to achieve I guess a SQL build. For instance If one were to use a Fi Q10 in a sealed box PLUS IDK a FI BL15 in another larger ported box. My thoughts would be you'd get the higher notes and faster response from the 10 and obviously nasty low's from the 15. Right? So again would it be worth it for the little differences at either ends? Or is that just going to far kind of thing. Keep it easy and stick to a single or dual or quad or octo build??? :) But seriously though would it be worth it?

The only way I could see you needing to do this is if you had the 15 in back and wanted to mount the 10 up front For some extra reinforcement. In the proper box that 15 can have great attack and decay. It's really all about the enclosure. I like to keep subs crossed under 60 hz. Maybe it's midbass that you are wanting or needing. Allot of impact from music comes from this region. (60-400hz) what does your front stage consist of?

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Its more of a question, at this point i've not begun BUT i will be using CDT audio for the front stage. I also thought of perhaps doing two different 12's like q12 and bl12. They could be within the same box size if ported and would have the same RMS recommended wattage. Just thinking outside of the box... no pun intended..

You could tune two boxes to have different bandwidths but it will take allot of experimentation to get right. The couple times I have heard of this scenario people have used a 12 to play from 30hz-80hz and then used a 18 or 21 for 30hz and down. It can work but it is also one more thing that can go wrong. They would need to be in the same type of enclosure ideally. Both ported, sealed, etc. So you have close to the same group delay or it could sound wacky. If you are up for it I say go for it.

I still think we are taking about the midbass region so I would go with the largest ones you can fit in the car then build the sub stage to fit that. This is the area I see 75% of people overlook when building a system. I run a 12" midbass with my 3 18" sub's and that shit is magic. I would try to find someone with a well balanced setup with large midbass and listen. It may give you a better idea.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Archived