Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Sub power?


hyboost09

Recommended Posts

Posted

I have 2 atomic APX 12's d2 strapped to 2 soundqubed 2200's. My question is if I was to put 2 3500's on them I know it would get louder. But would it clip at a higher volume (DB/SPL) or is a woofer clipping something related to the mechanics of the woofer or from the box? Im just not clear on what actually makes the sub clip.

Thanks for the help in advance

Posted

woofers are stupid. they do what you tell them to do.

same with amps. they dont know what to do unless you tell them to do something, like turning the volume up on the headunit.

Posted

So basically if I add more power and the subs can handle it I will have more output (SPL/DB) without smoking the subs cause its the clipping signal is from the amp going to the sub that will damage it. Correct?

Posted

Real quick answer. Subs can fail mechanically or thermally. If the amp is too strong the sub could rip it's self apart, or generate too much heat and fry the coil.

Newbies most of the time use an amp that's too small and run it into clipping, which is a sub killin combo for sure.

Posted

if you smell burning, turn it down.

you can blow woofers with a clean signal too.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3178 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...