Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

Just thought i would toss up my T-line build for the Atomic AP8 Also tested with a DC8" the little thing rocks! I have been building T-lines for a couple years now. Oh and hi everyone since this is my first post :drinks:

My link

My link

My link

My link

Awesome woodworking skills. Got any vids?

System:

Basically Stock

In process of upgrading

Ive built one t-line and it hits pretty low.

Im thinking about doing one for another 8" I have laying around but its f/s is 35hz. Thats like a 8 foot port.

What difference would I hear if I shortend the port (raising the frequency)?

Anyone?

Im thinking about doing one for another 8" I have laying around but its f/s is 35hz. Thats like a 8 foot port.

Anyone?

What are the QMS, QES, & QTS?

System:

Basically Stock

In process of upgrading

Anyone?

The one i just posted is 7.5 ft it sounds great Generally a t-line will play a full octave below its tuning. then you can fine tune it a bit more by stuffing the line or lining the sides of the line!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Altimate-Automotive/121314931239071

www.altimateautomotive.com

The Zombie's are coming

Steve

Thanks for responding guys.

The first t-line I made was for a 8" Polk (with a f/s of 48hz). Like I said, in my buddies car it hits pretty low and sounds good for an 8.

Ive got another 8 at the house and I wanted to do a t-line in my SUV for now.

Its specs are:

Resonant Frequency 35 Hz

Qms 5.5

Qes .7

Qts .6

Vas .54 cu ft/15.4L

Sd 35.65 sq in/230 sq cm

Xmax (linear) .75

Le 2.3 mH

The t-line I have planed is pretty simple but comes to almost 49 inches long.

I can fit this in my SUV, but not between the wheel wells. (Which have 42 inches between them, 52 inches ontop of them.)

I was wondering what sound difference I would hear if I shortend this t-line to fit in that space.

The first t-line I made was for a 8" Polk (with a f/s of 48hz). Like I said, in my buddies car it hits pretty low and sounds good for an 8.

Its specs are:

Resonant Frequency 35 Hz

Qms 5.5

Qes .7

Qts .6

Vas .54 cu ft/15.4L

Sd 35.65 sq in/230 sq cm

Xmax (linear) .75

Le 2.3 mH

I can fit this in my SUV, but not between the wheel wells. (Which have 42 inches between them, 52 inches ontop of them.)

I was wondering what sound difference I would hear if I shortend this t-line to fit in that space.

I could be wrong but from what i have learned, since your qms & qts are a little high you are going to peak around where your t-line is tuned which if you shorten it will be around 38hz. So the differences would just be that it'll peak around 38hz instead of 35, which imo is better cause 35hz is a little low for an 8.

Hopefully somebody else can shed some more light on the differences.

System:

Basically Stock

In process of upgrading

Its specs are:

Resonant Frequency 35 Hz

Qms 5.5

Qes .7

Qts .6

Vas .54 cu ft/15.4L

Sd 35.65 sq in/230 sq cm

Xmax (linear) .75

Le 2.3 mH

I could be wrong but from what i have learned, since your qms & qts are a little high you are going to peak around where your t-line is tuned which if you shorten it will be around 38hz. So the differences would just be that it'll peak around 38hz instead of 35, which imo is better cause 35hz is a little low for an 8.

Hopefully somebody else can shed some more light on the differences.

Makes sense to me. I get the idea about these boxes but I dont understand how the QMS and QTS work.

The first t-line I did was for a sub with these specs:

Resonant Frequency 49 Hz

Qms 14.1

Qes .6

Qts .6

If I build the t-line to roughly this frequency what sound should I expect with this sub?

Now the reason Im asking that is because since I heard how it sounds, I can kinda guess at how the new one will sound based off of this one and what you say it should sound like.

Thanks again!

So I just read through the first 25 pages of this awesome thread and have yet to see if anyone has tried a JL Audio 12w6v2 in a T-Line before. I have one that is just sitting at home, and I need a sub for my Home Theater application. I am mostly looking for a low extension and as flat a frequency curve as possible.

From what I understand, a properly built T-Line has the capability to sound great musically as well.

JL Audio 12w6v2 Specs:

Fs: 25Hz

Qes: 0.48

Qms: 7.1

Qts: 0.45

Sd: 77.8

If I were to build a T-Line box for this sub, I would want it as square as possible. Other than that, I have no size restrictions.

I've done the basic calculations and sketches, and would like to have it tuned at or slightly above 25Hz.

Is this worth attempting? Any suggestions are welcome.

Archived