Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

Yeah what John built there is 2- Phase aligned tlines

That is just about a perfect box. I have a build on here somewhere where I built a phase horn. The sound was amazing.

On this style box, I do think a Horn may be more effcient with power.

anyways, I was trying to draw one on sketchup, but Iam still learning that program.... if I knew of a way to draw in 2d first, then to have it translated to 3d, that would be great... is it possible??

But yeah, anyways, a phase horn is a woofer loaded in to the port, for the cone/port to be in perfect alignment

my 8 sounds incredible with 35rms in my home set up ;-)

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

finally did some sketchup on a phase horn, these are really simple, and from what I have noticed, work well with ALL music, not just rap, but rock, techno, rap, classical, everything

Posted Image

Posted Image

dont go by the measurments, I just did something really simple to give you an idea.

in a phase horn, the horn should be constant, basically if you can get the 2 wedges together, and form a trangle, they should be a pretty close to perfect triangle

This is a quarter wave box design, and I havent found out yet wether its high Q, low Q or what EBP type woofer works best with it. I have 4 8s I have tested in the design, and cant test the 8s, so its kinda hard to tell what specifics these boxes like

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

the sub would be invertedcone facing the line, and magnet in the port mouth

sundown.jpg

well, like t-lines/quarterwave designs, horns are similiar, but different

They work on the same quarter wave concept, but the begining, and ending openings are kinda math envolved... No I dont know the math, but a basic guess is,

imagine the mouth of the horn as SD*2 cone area x's cone area

get the FS of the sub, or bass boost you want to work with

draw a TO SCALE drawing down on paper starting at sd*2 * Fs/Boost length

imagine this drawing for a 30hz phase horn, but then you have to cut it in half, and fold it over on itself

Iam sure there is a formula that will say the mouth will be sd*?? else maybe just x's 1.5, that sounds better anyways, the air will be more compressed while it comes out

Posted Image

sundown.jpg

the triangle is a taper, its a horn... usually tapers work from large to a tighter opening. But this is a horn, so it starts tight, and opens up freely- The woofer in this case would be on the tighter side, but again, this is a phase horn, so you have to have the mouth, and the beggining of the line at the same sport to create the output your looking for

its a simple concept really, just imagine a bull horn, or get paper, and make a funnel with it and talk thru it, mess around with the size of the funnel, and watch how your voice changes at different frequencies, and how it AMPLIFIES how loud your voice is- this, well, your sub and horn opening are in perfect phase, off by 1 cycle, but its pretty much perfect

sundown.jpg

Iam getting a lil better with this sketchup

I was bored a few min ago, and came up with this

this is a 12" phase horn, tuned to 37.5hz 13" cut out to install speaker in the horn, and to compress air when going in and out, for better velocity

This should slam pretty good, just gotta find a high, to mid/high Q woofer with a 38hz or so Fs, and this shoul slamm

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

sundown.jpg

Archived