TheMonolith2001 Posted February 21, 2014 Report Posted February 21, 2014 Hi all! Haven't been around in awhile! I stopped by a few times but I didn't want to post for the sake of posting when the info was already there Anyway, We all know you can max out the volume without clipping but has anyone scoped the EQ bands on this headunit? I was messing around with my EQ and I noticed some of the bands clip once you hit +3 pretty obviously (audible clipping - few of the lower-mid bands) while some of the bands higher up either don't/take more boost or it was at least less obvious. This was with a 0db test tone cd I made with frequencies matching each band and the volume at 30/62. I am absolutely positive the files are good so it isn't the CD. Did the same thing with the files on a flash drive as well. It can't be the amp either as my mids/highs amp has only one adjustment, gain. No bass boost/crossover/etc. I am currently calibrated with 0db test tones at 57/62 so I don't think the +3 on the eq was the same amount of boost as going from 30/62 to 58+/62! Or is it? It seems kind of extreme that each notch on the eq would be equivalent to ~10 on the volume knob to push me into clipping although it would be an explanation. Kind of makes sense too, +6 on the EQ max with 62 max volume, coincidence? Volume knobs usually aren't linear though and there is a pretty big boost in output going from 61 to 62 so it seems unlikely to add up. I know its best to not use any boost at all on the eq, but damn I would be completely flat with one or two small boosts! Then I could just back down to a lower max volume. Am I being ridiculous trying to be 100% flat? My notes are outside in the car but I think my largest deviation was +2db with more than 3/4ths of the bands being completely even. That seems pretty damn good for not even having my doors deadened yet. That should be pretty accurate too as my noise floor was I think 31db which is about what you get in a recording studio. This also makes me wonder about the other volume adjustments. Can you go to +6 on the sub out and stay clean? It would be a neat way to switch back and forth from a 0db gain setting and a -5db gain setting if you could (after taking necessary measurements to figure out exactly which notch that is of course), although I supposed you could just calibrate at a lower value to achieve the same thing if you can't. Or if I do what I said in the last section and start using a lower max volume to protect my mids/highs I could maybe get away with +1 or 2 on the sub out to compensate instead of boosting more eq bands. This is all theoretical though I have no idea how that is actually going to play out on a meter yet. I am in the middle of changing jobs, so I am not sure when I will have some more free time. But if no one has scoped this aspect of the headunit yet I have an oscope and I could do it in probably a couple weeks. Could be longer though. This seems like it would be useful information to have so if I do scope it ill try and make a nice little table with readings on different bands at different volume levels. I guess the next step is to turn a band up to +3 so it clips and see if it stops clipping if I back down the volume. I'd rather do this on the scope though and not my speakers
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.