Sundown Audio

Zapco ST-4X

John Fassetta

So I'm wanting to upgrade my system a decent bit and was thinking a new 4 channel might be the way to go. Right now I've got my 4 door speakers on a Hifonics GLX240 s at 4 ohms except one channel which is powering a door speaker and one in the center of the dash (its a Tundra and had a space already for one to go there) at 2 ohms so they're still getting 60 each. Then there's two in the corners of the dash running on the headunit at 20rms. Those are factory and need to get replaced. I am more interested in sound quality than loud as my current setup already hurts my ears when I crank it and I like loud bass, loud speakers is just kinda eh. I've heard a lot about Zapco having excellent sound quality as was wondering what yall think about a Zapco ST-4X. Obviously it's one of their cheaper models. Will it be a step up from my current Hifonics and do yall think I'd be better off with it than say an Alpine 4 channel or something like that? I was thinking maybe I could run the smaller dash spears and the two in the rear doors off of the Hifonics and put the front doors and center speaker on this??? Sound like a good plan or am I running the wrong direction? Thanks everybody

Also, $200 is probably my upper limit on price for a 4 channel. I'm down to go used and open to suggestions, but I also just bought an XFL 15 so car audio funds are tight

no idea on that model i know zapco makes some bad ass amps though.

On 3/28/2014 at 4:22 PM, KyLar96 said:

Its all about the music anyway..... Do a proper install, something your happy with, Fuck everyone else...... improve in time, where you can..... its not rocket science...

Tiburon build //www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/174059-97-hyundai-tiburon-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-slow-5k-build/

2000 Mountaineer build http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186736-2000-mountaineer-build-from-ramming-to-slamming-part-iislow-5k-builddc-audio-americanbassxspowersingerarcaudiostingershcavideo-on-pg7/

2000 Mercury Mountaineer: Electrical:Singer 360 hairpin powdercoated white alt, Big 4 double run 1/0 SHCA OFC, 4 runs 1/0 OFC SHCA, limitless 70ah, HU: Pioneer deh80prs interiors: Skar sk85.4 on sb acoustics neo dome tweeters 2 Mmats sq4100s on 4 silver flute 8s(4ohm) SUB Stage: 3 DC5K [email protected] on 6 ascendant audio mayhem 12s d1.4s fully loaded

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is a little old, but I thought I would add to it for those people whom search about Zapco in the futureand this thread pops up in the results. I own and currently use the st4x-sq model. I have it running off of a Kenwood Hu and powering some Rockford t1650 coaxials. It is a wonderful little amp and sounds way better than the JBL amp and the Rockford amp I had in my suburban before this one. It just sounds way less compressed and more natural. It's hard to explain without hearing it for yourself but the best way to describe it is this: " the amp sounds totally transparent, all I hear is the music, which is the way it should be, no hiss, no noise, no coloration. Just the music like your there. Not saying it's the end all, be all, best amp in the world , but it is very clean sounding , clean looking solid little amp that does exactly what it's supposed to do. I can't wait to get another one and a processor and go 3 way active in the front. I also have a couple of the stx1650's pushing my subs and those amps are the truth also.

So I'm wanting to upgrade my system a decent bit and was thinking a new 4 channel might be the way to go. Right now I've got my 4 door speakers on a Hifonics GLX240 s at 4 ohms except one channel which is powering a door speaker and one in the center of the dash (its a Tundra and had a space already for one to go there) at 2 ohms so they're still getting 60 each. Then there's two in the corners of the dash running on the headunit at 20rms. Those are factory and need to get replaced. I am more interested in sound quality than loud as my current setup already hurts my ears when I crank it and I like loud bass, loud speakers is just kinda eh. I've heard a lot about Zapco having excellent sound quality as was wondering what yall think about a Zapco ST-4X. Obviously it's one of their cheaper models. Will it be a step up from my current Hifonics and do yall think I'd be better off with it than say an Alpine 4 channel or something like that? I was thinking maybe I could run the smaller dash spears and the two in the rear doors off of the Hifonics and put the front doors and center speaker on this??? Sound like a good plan or am I running the wrong direction? Thanks everybody

Also, $200 is probably my upper limit on price for a 4 channel. I'm down to go used and open to suggestions, but I also just bought an XFL 15 so car audio funds are tight

I just looked up the amplifier.

I did a few calculations as I work with amplifiers regularly.

This amp looks like it can definitely make it's power no problem judging by the fusing on it. It can draw probably around 50 amps safely @12v to get 600W of power in, which would make sense as it's not a class D, so the efficiency isn't that great.

Also, the Hifonics amp you're currently using is definitely not making it's rated power, it's not a very good amplifier.

I like Hifonics Brutus series, those aren't bad, and their anniversary amplifiers aren't bad either.

However, any lower series aren't that great, I've seen a lot of amps (not too familiar with newer amps though.)

If I were you and you're willing to spend 200$ at the max, get that amp, it'll definitely do it's power and make you happy.

Unless there's some serious design flaw with it, I see no reason for it not to make it's rated power.

It's 160$ on amazon with prime shipping, that's a good deal for an amplifier rated as much as it is.

TL;DR: go for it, get the amp, seems pretty good on first impressions, however there's an amp by RF that's rated for a higher RMS @ 4 ohms.

If you want something that can do it's power and is a little smaller, but can't do as high as peak at the zapco, then check out http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_34758_Rockford-Fosgate-Punch-PBR300X4.html

It's a nice little mini amp, but if this were my build, I'd use the amp you listed here.

GL, and have fun bumping.

• 2 years later...

I am currently running 2 way active on fronts using the st-6x sq and pioneer ts d 1730cs with the Dayton Dsp-408 controlling all plus a set of ts-d65c non active on channels 5 and 6 ....  With Zapco Powering everything but the subs I can say that this setup is the best sounding system I have ever done!!  Zapco for the win!  Update!  Now completely Zapco power with the addition of a Zapco st 1000xmll dedicated sub amp on 2 NEP Classic 12s.........   OMG subs are Musical!!  Zapco for the win!

Archived