Second Skin Audio

new box help?

dsw422

Hey everyone.. I had a post a couple days ago about a box I built which everyone sed to scrap, so I did.. Ive got me new box design ready and all cut except for the port. I want my box tuned to 32-34hz... I did a couple online calculators to figure out what length and size my port should be. My box is 36"wide, 14"tall, 20" deep. I came up with a look I liked with the port on the same face as the subs. but with the port length suggested by the online calculators means it has to turn the corner.. Does that effect the tuning frequency or will that be ok.. Or should I put the port elsewhere on the box.. here are some pics I took of the design on sketchup..

0320141902.jpg

0320141903.jpg

0320141904.jpg

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10"

https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/

To answer your question, yes you just have the port turn the corner, as long as it has sufficient area its not going to be a problem.

Couple things with your design. Your subs are very close together on the baffle, are you sure they are going to fit next to each other that closely? With them that close it is going to make your baffle pretty weak, you need to double it up and brace it from underneath, IMHO.

What are the dimensions of your port? Its hard to tell from the picture, but it looks to be on the small side for four 12"s. This will really be a problem with the corner you are going to need to put in it.

Based on your dimensions I only got 4.6 cubes of airspace and that's before you take out sub and port displacements. Which subs are you using? Its pretty unlikely that is going to be enough space for four 12"s.

ETA: My bad, I see your subs are 10"s, not 12"s. With the exception of the airspace concern, what I said still applies.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

thanks for the reply.. The port will be 12" wide, 4" deep, and according to online calculator the length is 19". So im glad to hear I can turn the corner cuzz I like the design.

the subs are currently kicker comp 10's... nothing to get excited about.. lol.. but I'm upgrading to 4 nvx 10's.. I figured i'd give em a try and see how they are.

The subs will have almost an inch of space between each other.. as for bracing I plan on placing an 1.5" conduit with some floor flanges on either side in the center of the box.

Thanks so Much

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10"

https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/

Archived