Second Skin Audio

Sealed box to small

Rck'nRF

Unfortunately, you should not mix impedance loads. VC's are slightly different 4 vs. 2 ohm. Even if you pair them up, the flow of current will be at slightly different rates. the 4 ohm in parallel will be 2 ohm, and the 2 ohm in series will 1 ohm. see you can't mix it like you would with 4 quarters and say "See I have a dollar!"

As far as the box being too small......with basket displacement at about .12 or so, youre still with in spec. But you have to know that a sealed box requires more power than vented. And you're doing the thing that most people hate hearing "I want alittle more bass so I turned up the gain". That drives people nuts. If you want more bass....get another subwoofer. lol. More gain distorts!

-Frank

yea your clipping and distorting! that's all your problem is. back off the gain like 20% is prolly where you should be. And no can't run ad2 and d4 subs to the same amp. the one swith the lower ohm will move more then the other. I've had this discussion allot And have even done it. (i have 2 d4 type rs and a d2 the new 1000w type rs) i put a d2 and d4 in the same box and the d2 moved like crazy while the d4 not so much. what you should do is build a new 4ft vented box tune to 30hz and break out your good amp(cold has boo effect on amps,.if anything they perform better) and you'll get way better performance! since typr rs are more of a spl sub they actually sound really good at low tunes! I've owned almost every model and size type r they have made.

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

Well,i have learned something very valuable today about NOT mixing ohms!!!

The answers to that questions are NOT easily found in the owrld today for certain!!!

High thanked regards for that!

Aj11& Deeznutz,

I would bet money that a bigger or ported box would let this sub breathe as it's supposed too!

I been around alot of 12&15" subs,and i feel 100% that it is currently doing what a 8"

sub could do and that this is NOT a case of:

"And you're doing the thing that most people hate hearing "I want alittle more bass so I turned up the gain".

That drives people nuts. If you want more bass....get another subwoofer:

I think a 15"sub should adequatly fill the interior of my truck,i know it's definatly lacking something at this

pathetic 150=ish watts....

Maybe i should just go ahead an drill a hole into box & make temporary

port inside to see what happens,then close it back up after about 20 beats to see

as tester..

A port is much much more than just a hole in the box. If you were to just drill a hole in the box you are going to end up wrecking your box and its going to sound worse. If you want to do a ported enclosure you are gonna have to buy or build a proper ported box. I recommend building the box to the specs of the subs, and for your case i actually recently built a box for two type r 15's and after running it through WinISD I ended up making it about 4 cubic feet each chamber and the port dimensions I don't remember off the top of my head but the WinISD response graphs are on the build log with all the measurements too, if you need anything else let me know i can help you out with it.

You guys really came through for me in this thread i see!! THX &

sorry for having left such a gap of responding!

I am using a Rockford Punch 200 amp for this 15" Alpine,

the gain is at about 75% turned up & i am on Low pass on cross over,

like i said this sub sounds REAL nice low an deep,just when i want a touch more bass.

When i turn my bass up to the '0' setting from -1 ( stereo consol) it starts crunching/scratching &

i immediatly back it off, the sub is not blown in the slightest(yes,removed& push tested).

For the ones who asked "Why stupid pissy little amp to push this 15"? Purely because i flatly

refuse to use my 1000bd in these cuurent temps/cold for working such precious gold electronics..

i still think the box is to small is why it scratches because the air has no place to go when

compressed during a trance bass note.

Nother question, when i do finally get around to my perectly designed & better box, i want to put my

other 15" Alpine to use in the truck

BUT,

the one i am using now is a DVC at 4ohm,the other, a DVC at 2ohm..

what will the final load be? 3ohms??

As for running your amp in the cold, it will be fine, car amps are made for the brutal beating that they will go through, this winter my amps when through several days of below -10, probably closer to -15 to -20 at night, granted this was only a couple days out of the winter. And they still run perfectly fine.

2002 Toyota Corolla

Pioneer DEH-80PRS

Soundqubed Q1-2200d

Soundqubed HDC3.118

Soundqubed Q4-120

Alpine SPR-60

Alpine SPR-60C

do not port that box! way to small for a 15!

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

K so if your gain is up to 75% you are most likely clipping the signal hard. That is where the sound is coming from. You gains are not set right and even small power clipped will burn up the subs. So order a dd-1 and set the gains right. That is why. If you still feel that the box is too small, stuff it with polyfil. But if you are getting nice deep lows then the box is probably OK. Clipped signal is your problem I cab almost gaurentee it.

Archived