StanBow55 Posted April 22, 2014 Report Posted April 22, 2014 Hey guys, new here to this site. I have an 02 dodge ram, regular cab, and right now i have a type R 10 in a sealed box that i built myself with a 500rms alpine amp. It sounds good, have no complaints but i feel like i can get more with a bigger and ported box. My problem is, I have never built a ported box before and frankly am still unsure of where and how to build the port in the right location. My ideal setup is to have the sub behind the passenger seat, and the box to basically take up 2/3 of my behind the seat space. I would love to have to port low on the box blowing towards the drivers side of the truck. I have seen similar built prefab boxes at places, but because of some certain vehicle specific issues, i have to tailor build the box to get it to tuck in how i prefer and not hack my truck to hell and back. I know these are some serious noob questions guys, and i apologize in advance for any noob-ness. And I know what im running is "small potatoes" compared to some of your impressive builds and setups. Any pics of similar builds or tips is greatly appreciated before i undertake building something and it sounds like garbage cause i didnt build it right due to lack of knowledge.
slaughter Posted April 22, 2014 Report Posted April 22, 2014 I had a single cab ranger and my first setup was a single 12. You probably have more room than I did in the ranger but I just slid up the passenger seat and put the box behind that port on the bottom of the box facing the passenger side. box was 2cu net and tuned to 33hz. SOLD 2006 Ford Ranger Single Cab2 DC XL 15's2 Crescendo BC2k's4th Order Blowthrough CURRENT 2012 Dodge Charger R/T 2 Tantric HD 12's Ampere 3800 2 XS XP 3000's
StanBow55 Posted April 22, 2014 Author Report Posted April 22, 2014 I had a single cab ranger and my first setup was a single 12. You probably have more room than I did in the ranger but I just slid up the passenger seat and put the box behind that port on the bottom of the box facing the passenger side. box was 2cu net and tuned to 33hz. Yes, actually there is a crazy amount of room behind the seats on these Ram trucks. Thats why im confident i can build something with more than enough space, and still have room left over. Right now, I only built a box that sets behind the passenger seat and it is well within Alpine's suggested box size, and i didnt have to cut the cargo tray or anything to make it work. That worked for me when i built it, but its been about a year and I am just ready to change it up some.
Ryan929 Posted April 22, 2014 Report Posted April 22, 2014 I had 2 12s in my single cab s10 with about 4 cubes tuned to 33hz. I thought it would be impossible or me to build a box like this for my truck, I never built a box before this but it actually wasn't too hard. http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff135/ryan929/2013-03-28172200_zpsc428fee7.jpg Edit for link
StanBow55 Posted April 22, 2014 Author Report Posted April 22, 2014 I had 2 12s in my single cab s10 with about 4 cubes tuned to 33hz. I thought it would be impossible or me to build a box like this for my truck, I never built a box before this but it actually wasn't too hard. http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff135/ryan929/2013-03-28172200_zpsc428fee7.jpg Edit for link Thanks man, i like that. something like that is a possibility as well having the ports go up through the top Is there any advantages or any differences between a round port or a square port?
ingramcaraudio Posted April 22, 2014 Report Posted April 22, 2014 always had good luck doing port facing passenger side of course your box may not to be as long as this but should give you an idea. Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Farmville-VA/Rockwell-Audio/103036213076623?ref=ts
Ryan929 Posted April 22, 2014 Report Posted April 22, 2014 I'm not sure if there are any advantages, although with it facing up being as my box was just about as wide as my whole truck with the port being up the airflow was less restricted. JoeX in here designed it for me. And like I said I thought it would be difficult to to build especially because if the shape and it was my first box but it came out good. Maybe not the prettiest but it sounded good forsure. You should have no problems building one it your ram, you have much more room than I did. Edit: the round port was just easier to do for this box since it wasn't very big.
ingramcaraudio Posted April 22, 2014 Report Posted April 22, 2014 The only advantage i've seen with the port off the passenger wall versus facing up with sliding rear glass is less window vibration....if you have solid rear window I wouldn't think it would be a problem. Facebookhttp://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Farmville-VA/Rockwell-Audio/103036213076623?ref=ts
StanBow55 Posted April 22, 2014 Author Report Posted April 22, 2014 always had good luck doing port facing passenger side of course your box may not to be as long as this but should give you an idea. this is very similar to what i want to build, except opposite sided(sub behind passenger seat and port firing towards drivers side) you dont by chance have any pics of the inside of the box would ya? I think im getting confused about how long the port needs to be.
StanBow55 Posted April 22, 2014 Author Report Posted April 22, 2014 I'm not sure if there are any advantages, although with it facing up being as my box was just about as wide as my whole truck with the port being up the airflow was less restricted. JoeX in here designed it for me. And like I said I thought it would be difficult to to build especially because if the shape and it was my first box but it came out good. Maybe not the prettiest but it sounded good forsure. You should have no problems building one it your ram, you have much more room than I did. Edit: the round port was just easier to do for this box since it wasn't very big. pardon my dumb questions, but is it better to just use pvc pipe as ports or are the ones you can purchase from audio shops better, or practically the same???
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.