terrien4t Posted April 28, 2014 Report Posted April 28, 2014 I am installing a subwoofer box in a boat. I have a kicker 12 inch L7.the opening is 21 wide x 23 high x 17 deep max. my question is since this is going to be in an open area just below the drivers steering wheel should I inset the speaker a few inches and install a plexi glass front on it. Also how big should the port be. When sitting at the captain's chair my feet do go into this area a couple inches so I was going to put the port at the bottom. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
PolishThunder Posted April 28, 2014 Report Posted April 28, 2014 Don't put Plexiglas in front of it, insetting it would be a good idea just use some kind of grill instead of Plexiglas, Parts Express has a lot of grills for sale they would probably have one that would work for you. Also on a boat you need to be especially careful of moisture, a regular car sub will be ok but you just have to bee careful that water doesn't get by it, otherwise actual marine woofers are much more waterproof.
terrien4t Posted April 28, 2014 Author Report Posted April 28, 2014 well I was thinking the reason for the plexiglass would not be just to protect the speaker but you give the sounds something to bounce off of being as always in a wide open area not enclosed like in a trunk. where I'm placing it at is pretty much water proof
PolishThunder Posted April 28, 2014 Report Posted April 28, 2014 depending on how you do it that Plexiglas could turn it into a 4th order type enclosure which would mess up your tuning a lot, if you use a properly designed box you shouldn't have to worry too much about the sound needing to bounce around too much.
terrien4t Posted April 28, 2014 Author Report Posted April 28, 2014 I have seen boxes with like an acrylic cover over them and thought that was the purpose of it. yeah I have no experience with tuning and porting and design of the cubic inches of a box. So I guess what I'm looking for is help in the design and tuning of the box. if the box becomes smaller than the opening in order for tuning I can always frame it out.
PolishThunder Posted April 28, 2014 Report Posted April 28, 2014 I would start a new thread and ask for help with a design for the box because a box built to specifications of the specific sub is way better than a prefab. Pretty much just say you need help designing a box tell them what kind of sub you are running (be as specific as you can with model numbers and such), what amp you are running and what type of application you are using it in (in your case on a boat) also if you give the max dimensions of your location they can usually design a box that will fit there. People will most likely help you out with a design Joe X is one person you can hit up too he designs boxes for people all the time!
MoFatt0529 Posted April 28, 2014 Report Posted April 28, 2014 If I was you I would make your box the dimensions you gave above and a 8" by 8" port that is 8" long, that would be 4.5 cubes tuned to 45 hz........ since its in an open area I would recomend the high tuning
terrien4t Posted April 28, 2014 Author Report Posted April 28, 2014 Thanks MoFatt0529 & Polish Thunder for the input. I would still like to inset the speaker at least 2" to help prevent me from hitting it while sitting at the captain's chair . and I'm going to shorten the height of the speaker by 3 inches. so that would make the box 20 tall by 21 wide by 15 deep.which would be about 3.64 cubes. Do I minus the area for the port? To get exact cube?and does this change the port size?
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.