Sonic Electronix

So when it comes to car audio i am more of a beginner and I am not quite sure how I would go about this. I am not actually doing this at the moment but just trying to understand the concept for my future use. If i were to replace the speakers in my car and to replace the front speakers with some components such as a 6.5in midrange and a tweeters, how would i go about doing this? I have always heard that passive crossovers are not the way to go. would i have to get an amp to power the midrange and another one for the tweeters? Then what would i do for the rear speakers?

As other information i have a Pioneer Deh-80prs, so i can actually use the rear 6 channel outputs for high/mid/lows instead of Front/rear/bass.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-2004 Ford explorer

-Pioneer Deh-80prs HU

-4 Rockford Fosgate R1683

-2 Rockford Fosgate P1S4-12 wired to 2ohms

-1 Rockford Fosgate Prime R500-1

-I know it's very basic...

It's perfectly OK to use a passive X-over between a tweet and a mid-woofer. An active or electronic X-over is typically used between the mid-woofer and subwoofer.

You can passively bi-amp a set of components providing the speaker's passive X-over can be configured for it. Another option is to omit the passive X-over completely and use an active X-over instead. The drawback to this arrangement is the added cost for the X-over and/or another amp for the tweet.

2011 Chevy Silverado LT 5.3L 4x4 Ext.-cab

"Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think."

Nothing wrong with passive setups. Almost all component speaker sets are ready to go out of the box, just follow the wiring diagrams.

Active is more controlable, but costs more. Start with passive.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Archived