DC Sound Lab

In my buddys install we are working on, we wanted to run the 5k. Problem is, this is also a speed oriented car with the audio being secondary on the list of priorities. This won't be a daily driver by any means. Anyways, we are working with the restriction of an upgraded alt and and upgraded starter battery and nothing more (batt mounted in trunk).

That being said, we thought the 3.5k may be less strenuous on the electrical. I just noticed the 3.5k is capable of 5,100 watts at 18 volts. My question is if we get an externally regulated alt and a 16v battery, will running the amp at a higher voltage cause more electrical strain then running the same amp at say 14.4 volts (12 volt battery)?

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

In my buddys install we are working on, we wanted to run the 5k. Problem is, this is also a speed oriented car with the audio being secondary on the list of priorities. This won't be a daily driver by any means. Anyways, we are working with the restriction of an upgraded alt and and upgraded starter battery and nothing more (batt mounted in trunk).

That being said, we thought the 3.5k may be less strenuous on the electrical. I just noticed the 3.5k is capable of 5,100 watts at 18 volts. My question is if we get an externally regulated alt and a 16v battery, will running the amp at a higher voltage cause more electrical strain then running the same amp at say 14.4 volts (12 volt battery)?

you will need at least 2 more batteries.. 16v batteries have much less reserve than a 12v battery..

ah, ok. Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like we r sticking with 12 volt.

I think it you be the same strain. The important bit it to provide enough current (amps) for a large amplifier.

If you can only supply a 3.5k with 100a on a 12v it won't do 3500w

Same with a 16v setup. Give it 100a on 16v and it still wont do 3500w...it might a get a few more than the 12v system but the demand is still present.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s