Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Small sealed to big sealed box difference


r33

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey, I've just installed my kicker comp-rt 12" into my single cab ute, I have tried designing a ported box to replace the pre loaded enclosure but cant get enough volume in the design to fit behind my seats.

But while I was calculating box's I entered the kicker factory sealed box into the calculator and realised it is below minimum recommended off there website.

the kicker loaded enclosure made for this sub is only .491 cubic feet 1.355 qtc. and the kicker website recommends .55 cubic feet. The sub still works well and punchy bass is quite loud, but some low notes feel pretty weak.

If I was to make a bigger sealed box between minimum and maximum reccomended would it make much of a difference to the lower notes?

Its a 800w rms sub running off a kx 800.1 amp

Posted

Normally modest changes in box size with sealed boxes doesn't much a huge difference in how they sound. Your case in an exception though. .5 cubic feet is a terribly small box for that sub. The smaller the box the higher your Qtc will be. The higher your Qtc, the earlier the bass starts to roll off, so basically that small box is killing your low bass.

The ideal Qtc is .707, the closer to that you can get, the better you will be. In this case you will need a 3 cube box, which is pretty huge for a single 12" and you probably can't fit that, but I'd make the box as big as will fit and then stuff it with about a pound of polyfill per cubic foot. That's going to be as good as you can get.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Im in the process of making a new sealed box at the moment, I was just messing around with WinISD and it looks like the factory box peaks at 70hz and , Which in my car with tone testing I notice its loudest at 60-70hz. The new box I am making now has .98 cubic feet and the graph shows a peak at 68hz but I noticed any size sealed enclosure will peak around 70hz with this sub. One thing thats changed is the the curve from 30-70 has a +4db difference in the graph,and 50-100hz is about 2.5db quieter and an overall smoother curve.

Now I am trying to work out which side would be best for the sub to face in my single cab ute/truck not sure what its called in usa :P. Its a trapeze shaped box so I could put the sub on the sloped side facing the front window or on the back facing the rear wall directing bass into the rear wall.

I wasnt sure which of these options would be best, or wouldnt it make much of a difference? If subs facing rear It will also be protected from the seat being adjusted by mechanics/other drivers who need to move the seat back and may squash the seat on the sub. But If it makes it sound worse i'd rather cut the hole out on the sloped side.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3394 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...