Second Skin Audio

Help Forward Facing & Sealing Off Two AB XFL 12's

BRodgers

I've got a 2001 Intrepid. I just bought Two American Bass XFL 12's and built a box that's 4^ft tuned to 34hz. The box is 34" Wide x 28" Deep x 13" tall. Port Width is 5" x 26" long. I've got them wired to 1ohm on a Brutus BRZ 2400.1D. Box is currently facing backwards and about 8" from the rear of the trunk. Back seats lay down flat

Problem: I'm noticing that some songs drop very low and the sound coming from the back sound "Floppy" or "Loose". I'm not really sure how to explain it but it doesn't sound clean or crisp at all. I believe that my problem is that the box is facing the rear and I need to spin it around, pull it into the opening and seal off the rest. I've never done that before with any system. I've always thought it sounded best bouncing off the rear of the car. If I open the trunk and stand behind the car the bass sounds awesome. Something happens when the trunk lid is shut and the sound has to travel back into the cabin. I've only got about a 3" gap for the air to pass through the back seats because the box is so wide and tall.

Since my port is off to 1 side of the box I'm thinking that I want the port on the driver side. The nice thing is that I designed the box to barely fit into the trunk through the back seat so that dimensions of the opening to the trunk are 36.5" wide x 13.5" tall. After I spin the box around and pull it up to the back seats I'll only have about 2" on each sides and .5" on top to "Fill" in order to seal it off.

I'm not sure the best way to seal it off. I have a sheet of 2'x4' 3/4" MDF I can use as well as some scraps left over from the box I built. I'm just not sure which way to go about sealing it off. If anyone knows of some step by step instructions somewhere, that would be great! I'm not sure If I need to remove the 6x9's in the rear deck and seal the holes or leave the 6x9's and just seal any other holes that might be in the rear deck.

I have also contemplated building a new Sealed box to the exact dimesnions of the opening, making it much easier to seal off the trunk. I'm not sure how much less SPL I'll notice in a sealed box but I listen to alot of Rocka nd Alternative music which sounds like garbage in my 34hz box that I have now. It was the first box I've ever built and I really didn't know what I was going to end up with, I just took everyone's advice, lol. It it awesome when I listen to Decaf I'll admit that!

What do you guys think? Should I spin it and seal it off, build a new Sealed box? build a box tuned to a different Hz? I'm saving up for a VFL 150.1 but it'll probably be a year until I get one.

2001 Dodge Intrepid R/T

2 American Bass XFL 12's

American Bass VFL 150.1

Exide Group 31 AGM

Big 3 1/0 Bullz Audio

Fill in the gaps with good stuff foam. Then sand it down and carpet it. Port on one side or the other Wont make much difference to the ear. I have mine on pass side, even gave the seat folded up on the port side and still sounds the same

01 focus se

110 amp alt

Big 3 sky high and stinger hpm ofc 1/0

Super start platinum AGM (starting)

2 runs of 1/0 Execution audio front to back

Kenwood double DIN DDx271

A pillars- orion 4" super tweeter and 2-1" alpines.

Orion xtx 64 in the front doors

2:1 4th order bandpass

Sealed off trunk

Digital designs deadener on roof/ rear deck

Orion hcca 12s (black coils)

Orion xtr3700.1

Orion xtr250.2 mid/highs

All sky high 1/0 in trunk dual runs(power/ground)

Sky high dual 1/0 inputs

2 xs power D3100 in back

Sky high batt blocks

Rose audio batt blocks

Stinger volt meter

All sky high 1\0 fuse and holders

Db link remote/ rca

Archived