Second Skin Audio

Looking for ideas to hatch mount a single 12 enclosure, make it quickly removable but solid

philrab

I've finally sucked up the fact that I'm going to build my own enclosure (will keep the stealthbox, just want more bass than I can get out of it). Last time I did this over a decade ago, I was a dipshit kid and depended on carpet friction and dumb luck to keep my enclosure from sliding around in my trunk. Now, I'm a little older and more wary, and I'd really like some way to keep that bastard from coming loose and moving around in the event of a car accident. I'm primarily concerned because this will be going into a hatchback, and my kid is in a car seat back there, and God forbid something happens I don't want the box to become a projectile and come OVER the back seat at her.

On the other hand, I really would like to be able to quickly remove the box for when I have to pack wife and kid's stuff back there for trips, so L brackets are out of the question. I thought of a pair of eye bolts and just use a ratchet strap across the top of the box, but that's going to look all kinds of ghetto. I'm looking for ideas.

One idea that crossed my mind was a bracket and quick release pin, kinda like what I'm familiar with from the military, but I can't find a good source for the parts that isn't going to cost an arm and leg. Also thought about an eye bolt in the hatch floor, another through the subwoofer box, and a D-ring snapped between the two. That would allow some movement, but won't let the box come forward, and it would be removable, but I can almost guarantee it'll rattle like all Hell.

Anyone have a parts source, or an idea that I'm overlooking? If I were younger and stupider, I'd just carpet the box and let that be that, but when my daughter's safety is involved I worry like all dads do.

2015 Toyota Tacoma Build Thread

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

I did something similar in my hatch on my old build. Had the amps and everything all mounted to the box in a fan cooled enclosure, where all i had to do was unplug rcas, and had a quick disconnect for the power/ground/remote wire. It all came out in one piece rather quickly. I ran a piece of thread all, all the way through the box from side to side, then had eye hooks on the outside, and attached the box to the cargo hooks in the hatch on each side with some chain and pad locks. Worked pretty well IMO. However, never was in any accident (knock on wood) that proved other wise.

5206910005_large.jpg

I did something similar in my hatch on my old build. Had the amps and everything all mounted to the box in a fan cooled enclosure, where all i had to do was unplug rcas, and had a quick disconnect for the power/ground/remote wire. It all came out in one piece rather quickly. I ran a piece of thread all, all the way through the box from side to side, then had eye hooks on the outside, and attached the box to the cargo hooks in the hatch on each side with some chain and pad locks. Worked pretty well IMO. However, never was in any accident (knock on wood) that proved other wise.

5206910005_large.jpg

Now there's an idea, I could lanyard it to the mounts ont he seat back for the car seat's center strap. Did the chain make much noise back there?

2007 Mazda 3; 5000K HID's, Kenwood Excelon KDC-X997, Infinity Reference 6.5 comps in front and coaxials in the rear doors, JL 320.4 four channel, Rab Designs built ported enclosure with an SA12, Kenwood monoblock, Redline Leater shift boot/e-brake boot/center console cover, JBR short shifter/shifter bushings/rear motor mount.

Build Thread

1996 Mazda Miata: Kenwood Excelon HU, Alpine speaker in the doors, Clearwater (miata specific) headrest speakers. 

1994 Mazda Protege: Kenwood Excelon HU, Infinity Reference 2 ways all around, 2x RF Punch 10's in ported boxes. 

The chain was quiet. It was always kept taught from the seat back. It must have been luck (i can never measure that good lol) that the seat back pressed against the box just enough before latching in place that it effectively "pushed" the box rearward towards the boot keeping the chains taught all the time. I used these Anderson connectors for my power/ground quick disconnect:

Anderson-connector-group.jpg

And even got the little cover so nothing would accidentally short out the + & -

anderson3.jpg

I don't need to worry about removing the amp, that's mounted up out of the way off the floor. My concern is a sealed box (or possibly an even bigger ported box) taking up space I need for stuff on those occasions I have to stuff the car full for vacations and family reunions.

Build Thread

i did this a few years back in a 96 firebird. kid wanted 2 12s that he could remove so he could still bring it to the drag strip. (i don't have pics anymore) but we used the old school window latches. we bolted them to the car and the other part to the box. we tried to pull and pull but it wasnt moving. and the whole process of removing the box was maybe a min or 2.

plus it didn't look bad barely noticeable

13463d1370324637-andersen-window-latch-a this

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

Was actually thinking about a couple of these. Quick release hinges.

81Z-HFriz5L._SL1500_.jpg

Seams like one of those on each side would get the job done, that and being behind the seat will resist forward motion.

Build Thread

that looks prefect! the one i did was really strong!

we tried to move It And break it. not gonna happen!

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

sorry for the dp, won't let Me edit.

but needless to say don't use the screws that come with the latch. we bored out the holes And put some really strong thick bolts there.

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

lots of great stuff