Think I Broke Something (Ford POSI Rear End)

i think you would not notice 0-60 difference, at that point you are past all the gear reduction and it is going to break before you see a significant decrease in performance. I mean, it would have to be god awful bad to do anything. the way your rear end works, if one side is dragging the power is going to go to the other wheel anyway. You might lose some traction but i cant see it hurting performance other that a loss of a good launch.

Got the car back today. The culprit was the passenger side carrier bearing. All the rollers were pitted to hell, and a couple of them had big chunks missing. Not sure what caused that. Needless to say, there were metal shavings practically coating everything in the rear end. Luckily, there were no chips in the ring or pinion gears, and I did get the new cf clutch packs for the LSD. So, basically its a brand new (refurb LOL) rear end. Bet part is, that god-awful whining/grinding sound is gone.

So the focus goes back to performance. WOOT

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to add an update to this, the bad bearings undoubtedly had an impact on fuel economy. On the freeway I was able to make the round trip to school at 85mph with cruise control on using the same amount of fuel that I used going 65 with the bad bearings. The bad bearings definitely created a drag factor.

I haven't driven the car hard yet since the bearing swap, so I won't comment on it. I will hypothesize though. Due to the way the POSI works, I think it will hook up better, since straight line power distribution is equal between both rear wheels now.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Archived